The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EasyApache4 Review

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by aanbar, Oct 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aanbar

aanbar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Today; After struggling for an hour with the new EasyApache4 (My First Attempt To Switch) I decided to revert back to EasyApache3.

I think EasyApache4 isn't ready for real-world use yet it's advertised as a stable product which is misleading,
    To sum it up here's what's wrong:
    - The interface to select a php handler does not work while you're running EasyApache4
    - /scripts/easyapache does not run & there's no /scripts/easyapache4 script to use
    - The build process (A Python script) would use 100% of cpu for a long period of time before giving you any output (You would think something went wrong)
    clicking again on links in the build interface might bring your server to its knees.
    - The build interface sucks and isn't what anybody would call a user-friendly interface with too many pages & affected/unaffected sliders where you would lose track
    of what you're doing (There's a summary before you actually build stuffs but it's not very helpful).
    - After rebuilding apache every single website had '403 error' unable to read htaccess file so apparently there's a permission issue or ownership problem which isn't
    addressed automatically

Compared to EasyApache3 I would never recommend anyone to make a switch,
    The way I see it there are no added value of using this new functionality at the moment; Therefore this project should either evolve quickly or just die.

Archmactrix likes this.
  2. cPJacob

cPJacob cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Hi,

Thanks for the review! I'd like to address a few of these:
    1> The 'Configure PHP & SuEXEC" page no longer works for EA4. You make all changes via WHM -> MultiPHP Manager
    2> There is no need for a /scripts/easyapache, as we use yum.
    3> Yep, the backend of EA4 was extremely slow in v58. We've sped this up immensely in v60 (it's 20x faster now)
    4> In v60, we've also updated the UI a bit to make this easier for end users.
    5> EA3 nor EA4 touched permissions on files. I'd like to see a bit more on what caused that issue, and how we can improve that experience for you :D

Thanks again for the review! I'd recommend checking out our EA4 documentation, as you're attempting to use a lot of EA3 tools, which are no longer valid for EA4.

EasyApache 4 Home - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Thanks again!

linux4me2, cPLevey and ElviCities like this.
  3. aanbar

aanbar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This could have been resolved by using a redirect to the appropriate script by detecting what EasyApache version is running on the system.

Even if Yum is being used, that doesn't mean having a command line interface similar to EasyApache3 is an impossible task

I hope so; I think I am still running v58, I might give it another try when I update to v60 (If it's a stable build)

It was an error about unable to read .htaccess files so I guess something was changed whither it was an intended behaviour or not is a different subject.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @aanbar,

We do have a document available for help with using YUM at:

Yellowdog Updater, Modified (yum) Basics - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

We're happy to guide you or answer any questions you have regarding the usage of YUM when working with EasyApache 4. That said, there's an existing feature request for profile management via the UI and the command line that might interest you:

EasyApache Profile customization

I encourage you to vote and add your feedback to this request.

Thank you.