The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit 404 error message

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by orish, Jul 28, 2011.

1. orish

orish Registered

Sometimes, a visitor says he gets a standard 404 error message on one of my websites (something to do with port 80). I can't reproduce the error - using the same link, I am able to get to the page.

Maybe it's because the link is a redirect link and there is some restriction on his browser or firewall regarding tracking links.

But what I'd like to do is change the 404 message to something more customer-friendly. At the moment, it simply says please contact the xxxx.com webmaster. And the link to the webmaster is actually the email address of a previous hosting provider, which is very odd. Maybe when I migrated the site to a new host, this 404 page got copied across also.

But my customers have been complaining that they are emailing me and I am not responding (I discovered this by reading a post about my website). Well now wonder if the 404 message is sending them to a hosting provider that I no longer host with!

Please help, this is quite urgent.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll find an icon titled Error Pages in your cPanel where you can create/modify all possible error pages. You'll also find any created error pages on your account in public_html/, for example you may see a 404.shtml (preferred) or 404.html file.