The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

edit dns to pass web part to another server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by screege, Feb 16, 2011.

1. screege

screege Well-Known Member

Hi a client developed an asp page and is hosted in another server, I wanted to know if I can edit the dns zone to just pass the web part to the other server since they wish to have their emails on the current server. what records do I need to edit or delete? The new host is just giving me their nameservers and ip address:

This are the web part I need to put in the dns.

NS1.DREAMHOST.COM 66.33.206.206
    NS2.DREAMHOST.COM 208.96.10.221
    NS3.DREAMHOST.COM 66.33.216.216

Regards

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you want to change the name servers only or the A record also for the domain? You can edit these from the option Edit Dns from WHM.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello screege,

Since the MX record is typically simply IN MX domain.com. for the mail, you will need to change the MX record to be mail.domain.com instead for the MX record, then change mail.domain.com to match your server's IP. Next, you will need to change the A record for the domain for domain.com and www.domain.com to point to the new IP where they site will be housed for the web pages. Finally, you'd want to change ftp to also go to that location where the web pages will be, since they likely want to use FTP there instead of your machine.

Basically, you'll need to edit these:

domain.com. 14400 IN A newIP#
    www.domain.com. 14400 IN A newIP#
    domain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.domain.com.
    mail.domain.com. 14400 IN A yourserverIP#
    ftp.domain.com. 14400 IN A newIP#

Any that are CNAME records, you would want to change to A records. In the above, domain.com is the domain name, newIP# is the new IP for the remote server where the site will be resolving, while yourserverIP# will be your server's IP for that domain.

Thanks!