The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit DNS Zone - Can you GET more irritating?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by twhiting9275, Feb 20, 2008.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Every once in a while, I need to use WHM to edit a dns zone. Whether I'm trying to configure clustered DNS, trying to change ip addresses, or just trying to add a server. Up until now, no problems, it's always been good.

The problem, NOW is that Cpanel/WHM are trying to ENTIRELY too 'web 2.0'. A simple form field (text entry) is turned into a nightmare, and I have to actually fight my browser for input into that field. This is just sick.

The way things were (select user, select domain, or input domain) was fine, but this? Good god, I should NEVER have to fight my browser for input field control.

Let's say that I have a number of domains (linux-tech.net , linux-talk.org , etc) that all start out the same. The form field is automatically filled in by whichever CPANEL (or WHM) thinks is best, instead of which one I want, and trying to override that decision is just wrong.

Put the form field BACK, please. We don't NEED "web 2.0" in a simple form field like this.

2. Kevinfrom

Kevinfrom Well-Known Member

How is it causing a problem exactly?

There is a text input field and a box with the list of domains in WHM > Edit a DNS Zone.

If you start to type the domain in the text input field then it will jump to that section in the list of domains automatically.

It sounds like your describing it as the text input field is auto populating with text that you did not type but i do not see this occuring on my tests.

Only my typed text is showing in the text input field while the list of domains is updated to the domains alphabetically according to what is typed in the text field.

3. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Don't say it CAN'T happen, because it does.

In here, I'm trying to edit the zone linux-tech.net . Not hard to do, right? type the name in, and voilla, it should be. Well, not so fast. CPanel decides it wants to tell you what zone to edit, so, my zone link-site.org automatically gets populated after the first 3 letters, and I have to go back and correct CPanel.

That wouldn't be bad, if it didn't happen EVERY TIME! Again, Web2.0, NOT Necessary on a simple formbox. The way things were previously, perfect, and I do mean perfect. The way they are now? A time consuming mess.

Screenshot removed, not going to put other domains in here as well ;)

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is your full cPanel version number?

Also, what happens if you continue typing after the field auto-populates?

Which browser are you using?

#4 cPanelKenneth, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  5. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This happens on two servers, both
    WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.1-R20683

Browser? firefox 2.0

What happens when I keep typing, well, that's where it gets interesting. Before I caught it the last time, the textbox had link--tech.n in it, so it continues to assume something incorrectly. Since I also have a couple other link-site domains, it could be that the field is thinking I want something else.

I've also caught it trying to pull up linux-tech.bnet, as I also own .biz, etc.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In WHM, there are two different auto-complete 'functions.' One does the high-lighting in blue and seems to not display this behavior. The other does the high-lighting in yellow and does display this behavior.

7. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Actually, the one that does this (that I saw) was in blue..

8. mitgib

mitgib Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I've found this new 'feature' to be irritating as well unless you type really slow so it can't get too far ahead of you.

9. JamesCTotalWeb

JamesCTotalWeb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ahhh I see the issue here ,,,,, it likes to fill in while you type ...... yeah this is a PITA

I guess if there is not a lot of domains on the server then you could just scroll through the list but try and type a domain in and it fills in and your typeing at the end .. lol

Sorry cPanel dudes this is junk here. :rolleyes:

10. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    So the typeahead is what is annoying you?

If thats all it is then go ahead and replace

/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/themes/x/templates/dnslist with this one

http://koston.org/dnslist

11. tolra

tolra Active Member

The other thing that really annoys me is that it doesn't always show all the matching domains in the drop down list. I have various domains starting tolra yet when I type tol in I may only get 1 domain listed.

I have to use the mouse to select and delete part of the guess leaving just tol in the box and then I get the full list of domains.

I'm using Firefox 2 and WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.1-R20683

Unfortunately this issue is not reliably repeatable, mainly it works.

12. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Still doesn't work right
    Replaced as requested, restarted Cpanel, still end up with stupid garbage instead of what I wanted to actually type.

13. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I actually like the ajax "type-ahead" functionality, and find it is a time saver in 99% of the occasions I visit that page. (We have about 10k domains with 8 servers using DNS cluster.)

Yes, the auto-select sometimes picks the wrong domain (when there are several same domains with different extensions... but we can simply manually type/paste the correct domain into the textbox and all is well.

I have not experienced the errors mentioned in this thread. (Maybe it's a browser related issue?) We have standardized our staff on IE latest version. I've never visited WHM with firefox. Is that possibly the problem?

14. closet geek

closet geek Well-Known Member

I have to chime in here. This new "web 2.0" thing on the edit dns zone dialogue DOES NOT WORK. I have spent the weekend wrestling with it, no matter how quickly I type it always picks the domain I don't want and I have to delete and start again. It's a massive step back in functionality and as far as I can see completely unnecessary. The old form worked just fine.

15. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I agree, the old form worked just fine.
    The only people saying the LIKE this functionality are individuals who type slower than my grandma, or have absolutely minimal domains on the server that this can conflict with.
    Come on guys, get rid of this garbage. it's unnecessary, and a MAJOR inconvenience to your clients, you know the people who pay your bills!

16. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I'm a very fast typer, and I like the auto-complete feature. :)

17. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Never tried that text box up there at the DNS edit screen. Probably because I do everything in shell. But just now tried it out. Wow. A nice idea that doesn't quite work well in practice, at least for me. I'm with twhiting on this one..

18. closet geek

closet geek Well-Known Member

Absolutely, we operate a rather large DNS cluster and this stupid box always selects a domain before I've finished typing and 9 times out of 10 it's the wrong domain. Please cPanel get rid of this, it serves no purpose apart from "bling" and it has dramatically reduced the functionality of this tool.

19. Silent Ninja

Silent Ninja Well-Known Member

I get it could be pretty or fancy to have a javascript code to "autocomplete" the dns zone you're looking for.. but it's really annoying to wait for HOURS to the js to search between the thousands of zones that are in our DNS Servers. You should try to add 42000 zones to your dns's and edit one of them, it's really impossible.

20. VeZoZ

VeZoZ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have to agree this thing right now is not useful when you got thousands and thousands of domains in it due to a dns cluster. I usually just type it in notepad and then paste it into the textbox to avoid the auto complete.