The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit DNS Zones is too slow

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by travelisimo, Feb 24, 2006.

1. travelisimo

travelisimo Registered

I need to edit dns zones for 14 domains I have, to change the NS assignment.

The strange thing here, is that is not even slow, but it hangs forever, and the other DNS functions shows normally, like Add a DNS zone, Delete a DNS zone, Edit MX entry, etc, , I talk with the technical people of my hosting provider, and they said that when are many domains into one server, sometimes are very slow the process of editing DNS, but this is what is strange, because I have another server with the same provider, and 26 domains in there, and the Edit DNS zone function works perfectly.

The question here is: Is there another way to Edit the DNS Zone for those 14 domains, maybe via script or download a file (if yes, tell me especifically pls, which file is and where is it) and then upload again, or maybe to Delete the DNS Zone and then Add it again with the new information, via WHM, and the risks and implications of doing this.

Thanks in advance.

2. WestBend

WestBend Well-Known Member

ssh into your server
    cd /var/named
    pico -w domain.com.db

change the information.
    Increase your serial number by 1.

When done editing all your domains :

service named restart

And editing a domain file should NOT slow your server.. its a text file less than 1kb in size..

I have servers with 100+ domains on them and never has it been slow editing..
    not unless the whole server was slow for a different reason.

3. travelisimo

travelisimo Registered

Thanks WestBend

Thank you for replying with useful information, I will do exactly as you told me, and then come back here to tell you how it went.
    Thanks again :)