The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing file in Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morley, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Morley

Morley Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm migrating sites onto the new machine and this is my first experience with WHM and Cpanel as most everything I've done was via the shell. Sometimes it's kind of frustrating. For example:

I brought over the /etc/passwd, shadow and group files thinking I could just copy them in but it seems that Cpanel puts them in /home/username/etc/domain/passwd and there's a comma V file as in passwd,v which indicates to me that they're under Revision Control.

The question: Can you edit these and what's the command to update the comma V?
    Otherwise it takes a long time to add users.

Thanks
    M

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You shouldn't migrate users in that manner from shell. It's much simpler to use (on the old server):

/scripts/pkgacct username

That will create a file containing all the data needed for the account in a tarball in /home/. Copy that file to the new servers's /home partition and then use:

/scripts/restorepkg username

That will then recreate the account on the new server with everything correctly configured.

3. Morley

Morley Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answer but I think you thought the old machine used Cpanel, it doesn't. :(

It's ok though, I had to do it maually.

Cheers,

M