Editing Website with Dreamweaver?

Corinthia

Registered
Mar 8, 2019
Eugene, OR
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi there,

I am completely and entirely new to cPanel and pretty much any sort of website hosting/ftp stuff. I have no issue writing and editing HTML, CSS, and XML, but can't figure out the hosting part. I don't even know the correct terminology for it.

I am taking over website design and maintenance from someone else, and need to get all the information that's on cPanel onto my computer so that I can edit in Dreamweaver. I don't even know where to start. I have CoreFTP installed, but after that I don't know what to do. What do I need to download, and from where?

Help?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Corinthia

The first step I would assume here would be to download a backup of your site to your local machine. You can do this without FTP by going to cPanel>>Files>>Backup Wizard and creating a backup of the Home Directory - Once that's complete you can download it and open the files you'd like to manage through the application you're using locally.

Corinthia

Registered
Mar 8, 2019
Eugene, OR
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi @Corinthia

The first step I would assume here would be to download a backup of your site to your local machine. You can do this without FTP by going to cPanel>>Files>>Backup Wizard and creating a backup of the Home Directory - Once that's complete you can download it and open the files you'd like to manage through the application you're using locally.
Once the Home Directory backup is downloaded, what do I do next? How do I open it to edit in Dreamweaver?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

You'd need to extract the backup anything that can extract a tar.gz file. Without knowing anything about Dreamweaver I'd assume you'd just open the index.html/php with Dreamweaver as you would open any website file. Adobe's directions for this should be useful:How to create and open files in Dreamweaver

Thanks!