The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effecient way to process large mailing lists?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by noimad1, Sep 18, 2011.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

I have a client who for the past 10 years has gathered a huge mailing list of clients. They have started to do some e-mail campaigns, but the server is having a rough time keeping up. Their current list is 250,000 Plus e-mail addresses. They are sending a 50,000 piece mailing every day, and a full 250,000 piece mailing every 3-4 days.

I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas on what the most efficient way to send this mailing is? Currently the server load is staying at about 45 all day long. This is a 3.3GHZ quad core cpu with 8GB of ram and 600GB hard drive.

Are there any settings in exim that I can change to help get this amount of messages out quickly?

Is there anyone out there with this large or larger mailing list that they are able to get these kinds of quantities out there quickly? If so, what kind of setup/hardware are you running?

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would recommend splitting the lists up into fewer ones to run atleast 2 hours after each other so they mailing server can keep up with those type of demands. Other than that, kick him off onto his own server or atleast a vps.

3. noimad1

thank you for the reply. First, this is the customers dedicated box.

I'm not sure this is an option to split the lists up because of how often they are sending them.

Just to give some perspective on how many messages this actually is, it's over 5 million messages per month.

I'm thinking I may have to split this across multiple servers, just was wondering if there were any options before I went that route to optimize the server.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What are they using to process the mailing list? It might be better to use something like majordomo, since you can stagger emails sent out to ensure exim can keep up with it without going into overload.

5. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thats another good point as well. Your going to want to ensure the emails are being sent out staggered as well. Splitting the email lists up could also help as most mailing lists software that is out on the market for free is not made to handle something of that size.

6. noimad1

They are using interspire's email marketer software. I believe what it does is grab 500 e-mails every minute and processes them.

7. noimad1

Ok, we actually setup an entire server just to handle the mail and it seems exim might be the bottleneck now. I'm only able to send about 40-45 e-mails per minute using Exim. I was reading elsewhere that exim might not be the best MTA for bulk deliveries. I guess there might be some argument about that. If anyone has any ideas on how to get exim to send faster I'm all ears.

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    postfix runs a bit faster with less memory than exim. If you are simply going to use the mail function, you could try only using sendmail on the machine for deliveries without using an MTA that needs to have higher level processing.

9. noimad1

Ok, is that something I would need to manually setup? Meaning, it's not something I can change within cpanel somehow right?

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    sendmail is passed through exim using cPanel, so if you only want sendmail without exim, you'll have to manually set that up. A server only used for email processing likely shouldn't have cPanel on it.