The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effective .htaccess writing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by curioususer, Jul 18, 2005.

1. curioususer

curioususer Member

Where can I learn how cPanel configures Parked, Addon, and Sub- domains so that I can be effective in my .htaccess writing? I'm presently in a situation where my .htaccess file, moved mostly intact from a non-cPanel host, works, but the cPanel Addon and Sub-domains do not... or, I can take away my .htaccess, and then the cPanel Addon and Sub-domains work, but I've then lost the functionality from .htaccess :confused:

Yes, my .htaccess is "fiddling" with addon and sub- domain like features too...

But it is not clear to me why the public_html/.htaccess should affect Addon and Sub- domains that have their own directory structure, if that directory structure is directly pointed to in the Virtual Host section of the Apache configuration files.

If I could see the set of configuration changes made to Apache, and I guess to the DNS zone file, that result from adding each of a Parked, Addon, and Sub- domain, then maybe I could understand the stuff better, and be better able to rework my .htaccess file to achieve the needed functionality.