The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effectively using my ipaddresses

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Shiro, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Shiro

Shiro Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I currently have a cpanel VPS. It came with two IP addresses. I have multiple accounts and sites on this VPS, but only one of them has a fairly heavy traffic load. I'm wondering if I should be putting that account/domain onto the other IP address. Is this beneficial? If so, how do I go about doing this?

Right now, all my accounts are set on the same IP address (the shared IP address). Would I need to make this account my primary account somehow to be able to use it on the other IP address? And is this even something worth doing?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I don't think moving that account to a dedicated IP is going to change anything here for you. That is, unless he's sending lots of email, you set him up with a cPanel game server or he needs a secure cert for a shopping cart for example.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The other benefit of a heavily trafficked site having a dedicated IP would be Apache hits. Unless you are using DSO + mod_ruid2, you cannot tell if an account is getting higher than normal traffic when it is on the shared IP over the other sites unless you go through WHM > Server Status > Apache Status and happen to catch the site getting those hits. Now, if you put the site onto a dedicated IP, you can more easily see the traffic in netstat directly checking on hits to that IP. As such, having the site on a dedicated IP can be beneficial for high traffic to it or any possible DoS attack that might occur.