Efficient Ruby and Rails app devops deployment options?

ylluminate

Apr 12, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We build Ruby and Ruby on Rails apps. We have a lot of clients that like Linode + cPanel. These two critters don't like to play together very nice in terms of deployment.

As solution builders, we love the Heroku / Nanobox style deployment options, but we want (need) to do this to cPanel hosted sites. We've set up Capistrano before, but it's just no good when you compare it to the Heroku-style options available. We don't just want production deployment options - we want to extend it to be a cohesive devops solution. Here's an interesting chart from Nanobox from a while back to give an idea of what various solutions do:

- Removed -

Are there any efficient options that exist for devops style deployment for efficient turnaround a la Heroku/Nanobox/Convox that are friendly with cPanel without a heavy setup phase (or if it can be somewhat automated, we don't mind heavy setup)?

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011

ylluminate

Apr 12, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPanelMichael are you familiar with the Heroku development and deployment workflow?

The problem is not so much where it's deployed to but how deployment of apps / sites are handled and this is where we need to focus our discussion once I get some context of your existing understanding.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @ylluminate,

My experience is limited, but I did read through the the How Heroku Works document to get a better understanding of it's purpose and capabilities. I don't know of any alternatives to Heroku that offer seamless integration with cPanel & WHM, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have as it pertains to cPanel & WHM (and the features we offer to facilitate integration) if it helps you in your research.

Thank you.