Electronic Mail Piped to Perl Script Not Executing with Module Reference

Anthony Brian Mallgren

Dec 12, 2015
United States
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Twitter
I currently have a domain in cPanel configured to pipe electronic mail to a Perl script, although the script does not seem to execute when there is any use statement (module references).

It seems to execute when I simply remove all of the use statements. It also seems to execute with the use statements when I run the script through SSH.

I am currently utilizing GoDaddy as a hosting solutions provider.

Any ideas?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Could you let us know the exact steps we can take to reproduce the issue? Have you reported the problem to your web hosting provider?

Thank you.

Anthony Brian Mallgren

Dec 12, 2015
United States
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Twitter
Steps to Reproduce
  1. Login to cPanel
  2. Click File Manager
  3. Create a new file in an appropriate directory
  4. Create some type of test file to validate that performs some standard action (I have a PHP file which writes to a database)
  5. Click Save Changes
  6. Click the Close button

7. Create a new file in an appropriate directory
  8. Enter #!/usr/bin/perl as the first line
  9. Use the Perl "open" command to call the file that was previously created (in my case, it is the PHP file which writes to a database)
  10. Click Save Changes
  11. Click the Close button

12. Return to the cPanel Main tab/window
  13. In the "Email" section, click Default Address
  14. Ensure the proper domain is selected for the field that says "Send all unrouted email for the following domain:" above it
  15. Under Advanced Options, select "Pipe to a Program"
  16. Enter the path to the file created in steps 7-11
  17. Click the Change button

18. Send a test electronic mail message to the domain for an address that may be handled by the script in the configuration created in steps 12-17 (in my case, it seemingly causes the script to execute, as confirmed by the PHP script that is called writing to a database)

19. Return to the cPanel Main tab/window
  20. In the Software section, click Perl Modules
  21. Copy and Paste "Email::Simple" (not including the quotes) into the field under "Install a Perl Module"
  22. Click the Install Now button
  23. Confirm that you see "Successfully installed [...]" after the installation has completed

24. Return to the cPanel File Manager tab/window
  25. Open the file created in steps 7-11 for editing
  26. Add "use Email::Simple;" to the file
  27. Click Save Changes

28. Send a test electronic mail message to the domain for an address that may be handled by the script in the configuration created in steps 12-17 (in my case, it does not seem to cause the script to execute successfully, as confirmed by the PHP script failing to write to a database)
Result

The script seems to execute successfully without module references, but not with a reference to an installed module.

Expected Result

Both the versions of the script, without and with module references, should execute successfully.

Additional Notes

When called by means of SSH, the version of the file which results after completing step 27 seems to execute successfully, confirmed by the PHP script seemingly resulting in an additional record in a database.

Anthony Brian Mallgren

Dec 12, 2015
United States
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Twitter
Hello :)

Could you let us know the exact steps we can take to reproduce the issue? Have you reported the problem to your web hosting provider?

Thank you.
I have not contacted the hosting provider for this specific issue yet. Per my experience, and with an offering such as this, there seems to be the habit of the hosting provider first pointing the customer to the software vendor for which the customer is experiencing a seeming issue with. In this case, I believe it would be appropriate for cPanel to confirm the functionality of the product, as from an infrastructure standpoint, everything seems sound. It appears, to me, more of a configuration or functionality issue.

If someone would provide me with the technical specification of how the product functions, and explain why the different execution methods result in different outcomes, I could perhaps take the information back to the hosting provider.