The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email account folders

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lee., Sep 18, 2004.

1. lee.

lee. Member

hello,

I appreciate email clients may vary (I use Mozilla THunderbird) but is it possible to pop a certain folder in a cpanel email account? I thought the protocol might be:

alias@domain.com/folder

but I don't seem to be achieving it. The situation may be being complicated by my associating avast! virus scanning with Thunderbird on my pc. I say that because the email account's pop server in Thunderbird is changed from mail.domain.com to 127.0.0.1 and the username becomes:

alias@domain.com#mail.domain.com

thanks for any help here,
    lee.

#1 lee., Sep 18, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. lee.

lee. Member

hello,

(second and last posting in case anyone who can help missed the first post)

I appreciate email clients may vary (I use Mozilla THunderbird) but is it possible to pop a certain folder in a cpanel email account? I thought the protocol might be:

alias@domain.com/folder

but I don't seem to be achieving it. The situation may be being complicated by my associating avast! virus scanning with Thunderbird on my pc. I say that because the email account's pop server in Thunderbird is changed from mail.domain.com to 127.0.0.1 and the username becomes:

alias@domain.com#mail.domain.com

thanks for any help here,
    lee.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's no need at all to (1) repost the exact same message or (2) bump it - if someone is going to help, they will, you just have to be patient.

To answer your question - No. The POP3 protocol does not work that way and has no understanding at all of folders. If you want to do that, then you need to look into using IMAP access to the email account.

4. lee.

lee. Member

Thanks,

that's exactly what I needed to know. I'll either drop my idea(s) or look into the imap principles, which are currently a mystery to me. I have noticed however that my client Thunderbird does support it.

lee