The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Account Migration/Restoration

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by psydoc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. psydoc

psydoc Member

Hi Everyone,

My old ISP bit the dust. Fortunately, I kept off-server backups every three hours. I have contracted for a reseller account, instead of a server, with a new ISP. I do not have root access.

I restored/migrated the sites, and the old, backed-up email was successfully transferred to the home/mail directory. Where I am having trouble is in getting those old emails into the Email Accounts section of cPanel.

Any help with accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated.

Is this even possible?

Thanks, in advance,
    Doc

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Doc,

Do you mean the email accounts aren't showing up as accounts in cPanel > Email Accounts area? If that's the case, did you have a backup of /home/user/etc folder? That folder contains the email users and their password and shadow files in it. Without it, the email accounts do not exist.

If you do not have that setup, then your option instead would be to move the mail content that you've copied, create each of the accounts in cPanel > Email Accounts area, then move the content back.

Thanks.

3. psydoc

psydoc Member

Hi Tristan,

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

Yes, I did mean that the accounts are not showing in the cPanel>Email Accounts area.

I do think I did complete backups, so I should have the /home/user/etc folder. I did look at that, but it only contained one of the email addresses (.admin@sitename.com). There are six other accounts. Those other accounts do show up in the /home/user/etc folder.

So, let me see if I understand you correctly. Since the etc folder only has the one account, I should create each account separately (in the cPanel > Email Accounts area)? Then move the content back? How, exactly do I move the content?

Thanks, again,
    Doc

4. psydoc

psydoc Member

Hi Tristan,

I apologize. I am not sure what I did; but, when I first looked at the /home/user/etc folder, I did not see any content. It was, of course, all there. :eek: Your suggestion solved the problem.

Thank you, very much,
    Doc

5. nia

nia Registered

Hi Tristan,

Can email account will be moved to another server?
    whether I Should create new?
    :confused:

Thanks.
    nia

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello nia,

Is there a reason the email account is only being moved to another server and not the entire account? Yes, you can move an email account to another machine, but you'd have to have the /home/username/etc/ files that contain the password and shadow files as well as the content in /home/username/mail/domain.com/emailuser location.

If you can explain what you are trying to do and why, that would make it easier to assist on how to accomplish it.

Thanks!