The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Accounts and Case Sensitivity

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Jeff75, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I have a client that was moved over from another system. There he had created several email accounts with capital letters for the username. For some reason, cPanel automatically converts capital letters in email accounts to lower-case.

He has software written that is used to by hundreds of clients and it would be a real pain to go in and have each client change the email address to lower case. Does anybody know if it would work if I created a symbolic link so the email account with capital letters will point to the account with lower case that is created in cPanel?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 Jeff75, Sep 8, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  2. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I tried creating a symbolic link so the upper-case email would point to the account with the lower-case letters, but it didn't work.

Does anybody have any other suggestions that I could try?

3. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Are you saying that email accounts on cpanel are case-sensitive? That would be a gross error as that is not the spec.

i.e. if my email address is jon@mydomain.com and someone sends mail to JON@mydomain.com, it doesn't get to me?

Hmmm...

4. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I meant if you created an account named MyName@domain.com, it automatically converts it to myname@domain.com. I think my client just needed to have his mail sent to HisName@domain.com, which is still received, even though the account is lower-case.