The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email accounts associating with the wrong client account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by danimal, Apr 13, 2004.

1. danimal

danimal Well-Known Member

Hello!

A couple of days ago, I created a new client account (newclient.com with account name newclient). Today, I get a call from an old client (oldclient, oldclient.com) that they cannot get into their email. Their login/password doesn't work. So, I do some research and check the mail logs and find out that it is trying to look up their email account in the new client's space. Here's the cpanelpop error message in /var/log/maillog:

Code:
    cpanelpop[7507]: User not found user=USER homedir=/home/NEWCLIENT passwd=/home/NEWCLIENT/etc//shadow
    Where USER is the old user account associated with the old client, and NEWCLIENT is the new client account I created.

My question is two-fold:

1) Why does this happen? Why does it change the mapping of an old client's email account to a new client's directory

2) What is the fix for this? I know the "temporary" fix, which is to tell the client to use their full email address in OE as the login, but I'd like to understand what the "real" fix is: i.e. reassociate USER with OLDCLIENT instead of NEWCLIENT

Thanks much!

-Danimal :cool: