The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email accounts question?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by valion, Jan 22, 2010.

1. valion

valion Registered

in the cpanel at the email accounts section there are just 3 options delete,change qouta,change password.
    What i need it's an DISABLE function i have a lot of email accounts for my company and i want to disable a specific email account for a period of time not delete that account,i just want to disable not to delete it cause i need it later.
    Can this be done on cpanel?
    I need this very much any help from people here would be a great thing for me.
    thnx for your time reading this thread,best regards valion :)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

That forum post references killing email for a single domain as opposed to a single account.

When you disable the email account, what should happen? Email returned, dropped, etc???

4. valion

valion Registered

5. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

It is not possible to disable the particular email account. However, you can disable the domain by removing the entry from the /etc/localdomains.

6. valion

valion Registered

Can it be done by a plugin or by editing a file? Is there any way to insert this disable function to cpanel?

7. anushkumar

anushkumar Well-Known Member

valion,

I have not done this myself but I believe you can disable it by removing the account entry from /home/user/etc/domainname/passwd and /home/user/etc/domainname/quota

DO NOT try before taking a backup.

Let me know if that works!!

8. valion

valion Registered

thank you very much for your answer.
    i have done the two steps that you said and then that email account can't send and receive emails but still can login to webmail and read the email there, so i deleted the line for that email account in the /home/user/etc/domainname/shadow too and then you can't access the webmail with that email account.
    Before deleting these lines on the 3 files passwd,qouta and shadow first you need to save these lines somewhere cause to bring back that email account to work you need to bring back these lines how they were in the begining so this could take some more time for an administrator and i tried in another way to do this:

I just renamed these lines in the files passwd,qouta and shadow,for example the username was email1 i just renamed to email1disable so when you need to bring back that account to work you just rename the lines how they were in the begining in our example to email1.

So thanks again for your help,and maybe in the next version of the cpanel the developers will make a disable function :P

#8 valion, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010