The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Accounts Usage incorrectly reported in cPanel!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Kent Brockman, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi, I've been doing some account cleaning and noticed that email accounts usage is not being reported with precision: only the messages in the /cur, /new and /tmp are being counted to calculate the usage, and for what I've seen, that number is based on what the maildirsize file is reporting. sounds good, until I noticed that messages in the Trash, Drafts, and Sent folders are being ignored and their content is not being counted :(

Does this have any solution? Because, i.e., one customer had 350 messages wighing 90 MB in his email account, and after he deleted 40 MB of them (to move to Trash folder), his email account usage lowered to 50 MB, but the main domain account usage counter was still showing the extra 40 MB of data, which come from the content of .Trash folder.

This issue should be repaired cause it can lead to confusion and disputes when a customer says he hasn't exceeded his disk quota, but we know (and see) that he indeed has.

Regards

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Did you try removing the maildirsize files from the accounts and letting them regenerate? Also try:

/scripts/generate_maildirsize

3. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yep, I tried that since the very first moment, and because it didn't worked, I analyzed the contents of the folders on several domains and I arrived to the conclusions of my first post in this thread: only the messages in the /cur, /new and /tmp are being counted to calculate the account usage, and the maildirsize file is calculating its value from those three folders.

I wonder if this behaviour can be fixed modifying any conf file.

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry for reviving a year-old thread, but there was no closure to this thread, and it matched the same problem I was researching. Namely, the .trash folder NOT being counted toward the user's mailbox quota.

I found this note in the 11.24 Release Notes:

So, near as I can tell, this is a "feature" and not a bug? Hmmm.....

- Scott