The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Accounts

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by supahoopsa, Jul 29, 2005.

1. supahoopsa

supahoopsa Registered

This is gonna be a dumb Q but its drivin gme nuts.

I've just got a new dedicated server with cPanel installed, my old server had webmin and I was comfortable doing the various tasks I had to do from there albeit it wasnt the best interface.

NB My server only contains my own sites.

For each domain I want to specify which email addresses are valid ie webmaster@mydomain.com and admin@mydomain.com. For email to any other address, I want to send message back saying invalid address and point them to info page.

I then want to be able to point all the valid email to 1 of 3 POP3 email addresses. Therefore I can download all mail for all domains from one (of three) POP3 accounts.

I cannot see where I can do this ?

What am I missing (be polite ;-) ?

Any web pages with this info detailed on ?

Thanks in advance.
    David Hayden

2. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

you have to login to cpanel page and not whm if you don't know already.

In cpanel, in the email section you can create accounts that you want to exist. Then in the default email section change it to the email account that you want it to redirect all mails that doesn't exist. This is called catchall and frankly it's bad idea to be using catchall mails in this spam era.

You can then create a autoresponder for this "catchall" email account that will sent out messages saying the email account doesn't exist..blah...blah..BUT you will again be only inviting problems to your server as most spams are sent using fake email account which will only bounce the mails back to you. And if you do not have anti-bounce installed (though i am pretty sure exim does already have anti-double bounce) then you are looking for more problem.

3. aby

aby Well-Known Member

>>>.

I then want to be able to point all the valid email to 1 of 3 POP3 email addresses. Therefore I can download all mail for all domains from one (of three) POP3 accounts.

>>>

You can make use of torwarders by loging to the cpanel >> mail >> forwarders

or else you can edit the valiases file from the shell