The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email archiving for 500 accounts

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ebizindia, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ebizindia

ebizindia Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One of our domains (example.com) has about 500 email accounts. We will like to create an archive of each account where we can store all the incoming and outgoing emails of the account for say, 30 days.

Proposed option:

We can create a new account like account1copy@example.com and forward all the incoming emails for account1@example.com to this.

Questions:

1. Will the Cpanel forward option forward all the emails meant for the account or only the emails that are left after Exim filter and Spamassassin have deleted a few emails?

2. How do we copy all the outgoing emails to this email account? Do we need to create an entry in the exim-filter file for each account. Since there are 500 email accounts, will this slow down the email delivery heavily? Is there a better alternative?

3. How to create a copy account for each of the 500 accounts in bulk?

4. I assume we can run a cron script to delete all emails in the copy accounts only that are more than 30 days old.

We are unable to use the Cpanel archive feature because

a. It stores all the messages that the account receives including spam etc. It archives the emails before the Exim filter and Spamassassin have had a shot at the emails.

b. It stores all the emails in a single email box.

2. NOC_Serverpoint

NOC_Serverpoint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
  3. ebizindia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have reviewed that thread.

As I mentioned, archive options won't work for us.

Does it mean, I have to manually add sections to the copy of the Exim filter file for the blind copy of each of the 500 accounts? Is there an alternative way? I am also concerned about maintenance as we might be adding new accounts rather frequently.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You'd have to use one of the custom Exim system filter rules referenced on the following thread:

Hidden copies of incoming and outgoing emails

Note that updated documentation on Exim system filter modifications is available at:

How to Customize the Exim System Filter File - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

I'm not aware of any rules that will automatically redirect emails to custom destinations for each individual email account without manually creating rules for each address, but it might be possible with a custom regular expression. You can find a list of system administration services if you'd like help with that level of customization:

System Administration Services | cPanel Forums

Thank you.

5. ebizindia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your inputs. Appreciate it.

cPanelMichael likes this.