The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Archiving Off-Server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by WWebWorks, May 5, 2014.

1. WWebWorks

WWebWorks Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We are hosting the email for a small city and they are utilizing the Email Archiving tool within cPanel. As we expected, this is taking a significant amount of space. Rather than purchase additional space, they would like to download the archive and store it on their systems. That part is easy enough. However, two further issues remain:
    1. How to search the archive once they download it
    2. How to remove the messages from the archive once they are downloaded

For the first part, I know the archive is downloaded in a Maildir format. And I believe Thunderbird can read this, correct? Is there a better way to do this?

For the second question, I don't see an automated way to do this, so what would be the best way to make this happen? Even if we have to do it on the Admin side.

Thank you for your help!

Mark Wright

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. Yes, you could use a third-party application such as Thunderbird to import the Maildir email files after manually extracting the archive.

2. You can browse to "Email Archiving" in cPanel to reduce the retention time, and then run the following command to ensure emails outside of that retention period are removed:

Code:
    /scripts/email_archive_maintenance
    Thank you.