The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Authentication Change

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Bradl3y, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Bradl3y

Bradl3y Member

This is getting a little bit complex. We have a dedicated server with cpanel installed.

We used to have my-domain.com (example)
    We recently aquired mydomain.com

We would like to use mydomain.com for everything now. I know i can just change the domain the account uses to this domain, however, all of the people that have email accounts with us with that old domain will ahve to reconfigure their clients.

I know there are multiple usernames for each virtual pop3 account that can be used, because you can use a + or an @, but can I somehow edit a config file to allow user@my-domain.com to be a valid username for the email account user@mydomain.com

Basically i want to change it so all new and old email addresses are now without the dash, without everybody having to change their mail configuration settings.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Probably, but it's going to need a bit of work. Haven't tried this at all, but it should give you an idea:

1. You would need to rename /home/account/mail/my-domain.com to mydomain.com

2. Rename /home/account/etc/my-domain.com to mydomain.com

3. Replace instances of my-domain.com with mydomain.com in /home/account/etc/mydomain.com/*

Backup the account before trying any of that.

3. Bradl3y

Bradl3y Member

That would require that my-domain.com be used to login, i would like to be allow them to use mydomain.com or my-domain.com...

There might be an easier way to go about this, but all I really want is to have mydomain.com be an exact clone of my-domain.com, as far as emails, website, subdomains, and everything goes. If someone sends an email to someone@my-domain.com it would be the same as someone sending an email to someone@mydomain.com. We aquired this new domain without the dash, and need to switch everything over without causing problems with our 100+ email accounts...

4. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That would be a much more sensible way to do it. Without you writing some scripts to replicate data (and symlinking files) it's not going to be easy to have a shared login like that for completely different domains.

6. Bradl3y

Bradl3y Member

if i forward my-domain.com emails to mydomain.com then everyone who checks their emails would have to reconfigure outlook to use mydomain.com

If i made both my-domain.com and mydomain.com i would be using twice the resources neccisary... but they might be the best way to go about it...

is there any way to copy all of those email accounts over? I don't know the passwords for them and there are so many...

7. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

In that case, set up forwarders from mydomain for all the accounts currently on my-domain, and put a rewrite rule in your Exim configuration so that any mail coming from my-domain has its From: address changed to mydomain.

8. Bradl3y

Bradl3y Member

ok, so you are saying to forward all emails that are sent to mydomain.com to my-domain.com, and all emails that are sent that are from my-domain.com rewrite to be mydomain.com

seems that'd work well, dont knwo how to do the rewrite, if you could point me in the right direction that would be great... ill google it for now and see if i can figure it out myself :)

9. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

Try this:

*@my-domain.com $sender_address_local_part@mydomain.com Ffs

Put it in the box underneath "REWRITE CONFIGURATION" in the Advanced Exim Configuration Editor.

#9 nisse, Nov 16, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2005