Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Email authentication - username vs. username@domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by CreateChange, Apr 30, 2019.

1. CreateChange

CreateChange Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am in the process of migrating an old mailserver over to an account on cPanel. On the old mailserver, users had their own system (Linux) accounts, and therefore could authenticate with just the username, no domain - and most do authenticate that way - just username.

On cPanel, where this mail is being migrated to, I have created a parent account for all of these users, example.com. I then have created email accounts under the example.com account for these users, e.g. user1@example.com.

When trying to setup an Outlook profile, it does not accept just the username when authenticating, but instead I am required to input the full user1@example.com address.

Is it in anyway possible configure it (WHM, this specific cPanel account, etc.) to allow users to auth with only their username? It would make the migration process much less of a headache. :)

Please let me know if more information is required.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @CreateChange,

You must authenticate with the full email account username (e.g. email-user@domain.tld) because the mail server needs to know the full email address to determine which passwd and shadow files to read when validating the authentication details. Otherwise, conflicts would arise when entering user1 in cases where user1@domain.tld is created for multiple domain names on the server .

The only exception to this rule is when you access the cPanel account's default address mailbox. In this case, you can login with the cPanel account username on it's own without the @domain.tld suffix.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...