The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Authentication

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Karl, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We\'ve got a user who can\'t get their email via POP, they can log in to their contol panel, they can log in to NeoMail but not POP email. They are trying to access their catch all account <username>@domain.com but it\'s not having none of it.

I\'ve checked that they have entries in domainalias, localdomains, userdomains and they are all present and correct.

Anyone got any Ideas as I am stuck now.

Thank you,

2. Brian Farkas

Brian Farkas Well-Known Member

They wouldn\'t happen to be using Netscape Mail, would they? I\'ve had clients who have been able to access their POP email correctly with Outlook Express, neomail, etc. but NS mail was causing problems.

The issue seems to stem from the way Netscape reads \"@\" signs in usernames. A fix for this issue was to replace the @ sign with a % sign, so that the user\'s new login would be: login%yourdomain.com

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Brian Farkas

3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Unfortunately it\'s not the old @ problem, it happens with all POP clients. Username/Password mis-match is the error.

Thanks,

4. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:3984f07c58]Unfortunately it\'s not the old @ problem, it happens with all POP clients. Username/Password mis-match is the error.

Thanks, [/quote:3984f07c58]

Try the pop mail troubleshooter at http://www.burst.net/admin/

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Tells me what I knew already, username/password mismatch. But for some reason it did show the domain after the ip as the wrong domain name, the client\'s domain is: client-domain.com the IP is 64.46.100.7 (Our IP for name based hosting) and the mail checker showed in brackets after the IP, the domain someother-client-domain.com - which happened to be the last domain added on that IP.

6. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

How about changing the IP # of the domain that can\'t receive POP mail to a unique IP.... Might be worth it if the problem ceases.

7. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I know this one ..been there done that ..all my hair was on the floor.. Karl,,,... look in user/mail ... is there a "inbox" file? If not, make empty one ..chmod to 644. Make mail rule in cpanel so mail will go there if sent. Send test message. Check file size of inbox to make sure. Tell client to POP his mail.all set.

Now do me a favor and reply to the email I sent you today about your mon script :)

[Edited on 8/17/01 by rpmws]

8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

In the end we just deleted the account and created it again as it was less hassle. But thanks for the suggestion.

9. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

Karl:[quote:398600ddfd] we just deleted the account and created it again as it was less hassle. But thanks for the suggestion[/quote:398600ddfd]
    When you recreate an account, do you first backup all the user\'s files in /home/username directory and copy them back once the account is recreated? Do the email passwords and emails work as before?