Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Backup and Transfer issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by owengna, Mar 19, 2018.

1. owengna

owengna Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey gus,

I am managing a couple of WHM servers for our company. Recently I need to move an account account from one to another, let's say i need to move abcd.com from Server A to Server B.

My colleague used the "Copy an Account From Another Server With an Account Password" on Server B and it was working fine but i noticed that the email content has not been transferred, info@abcd.com has no mail content so I used FileZilla to access Server A to download the mail folder.

I checked the downloaded folder size on my PC and it was about 300MB but Server A shows the usage is about 500MB. I went through the files in the folder and found out all 300MB email are from previous server provider (no emails on Server A). I checked the webmail and i can see all 500MB emails.

I was thinking it has something to do about the WHM setting but Server A was set up by someone who has left our company.

What should I do?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please check the logs and also check if email has been added in the cpbackup exclude list, which may have resulted in mails not syncing. Check the logs for more information. If it is possible for you to paste the logs here, we can go through it once.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you have root access to both servers in this case? If so, try using "WHM >> Transfer Tool" instead, as the "Copy an Account From Another Server With an Account Password" is generally only recommended if you don't have root access to the source server, or don't have access to generate a full backup of the account via cPanel on the source server.

Additionally, can you verify if there are actually missing emails, or if it's just a difference in the reported disk space usage you notice? Note that internal case CPANEL-17326 was implemented in cPanel & WHM version 70 to help reduce the confusion when customers check their disk usage in cPanel:

Fixed case CPANEL-17326: Clarify meaning of “Email Accounts” in cPanel Disk Usage.

The "Disk Usage" in cPanel will display the following note:

Thank you.