The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email being sent to junk mail in hotmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by global_groove6, Dec 13, 2003.

1. global_groove6

global_groove6 Active Member

Any email sent from one of our servers is being sent to the junkmail folder in hotmail. We arent blacklisted anywhere. It's all the IP's on the server too. Any ideas how to fix this permantly?

2. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

With the new filters Hotmail uses it is not so much a matter where the email comes from than what the content is.
    Getting someone from Hotmail to explain that to you is pretty impossible since they will not write you back if you ask.

3. hot_wired13

hot_wired13 Active Member

try getting the emails sent to have a from like: John Doe <john@doe.com> instead of being john@doe.com.

also, do NOT mass mail out the same email like more than 5 or 10 times, probably will get into junk folder. to bypass junk folder, either, write "spamfree" (someone told me this works) somewhere in the subject or just add a value that changes with each email. for example...

Hi $member,

You are currently subscribed as $userid.
    blahblahblahblah

as long as something changes, it *SHOULD* work. let me know the outcome

4. global_groove6

global_groove6 Active Member

we fixed it. It ended up just being a reverse DNS issue. Why don't D.C.'s just put reverse DNS on all IP's without having to request it? Is their a reason why you would not want this done?

5. hot_wired13

hot_wired13 Active Member

the point is, a revdns must correspond to a forward dns. how would the DC know what your forward dns is? :P

6. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Hotwired,
    Your claim that the ptr record must match the corresponding a record is not true. Both Hotmail and AOL do not require a match but they do require a reverse dns record. This can be the record of the uplink or hosting provider if no reverse zone delegation has been given which is more and more common.
    To require reverse dns matched to accept smtp traffic is outdated and no guarantee to prevent spam.

7. tonyxp

tonyxp Member

I have the same issue. I'm new to this. Would you explain to me what reverse DNS is? and how to fix this? Thanks.