The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email between same account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by salvatore333, Jul 27, 2007.

1. salvatore333

salvatore333 Well-Known Member

Customer has two email accounts setup for the same domain name. He cannot send emails between these two accounts but sending to outside email accounts works fine.

Can somebody point me in the right direction to fix this issue?

Thanks again.

2. adamntabor

adamntabor Registered

Emails between accounts of same domain

I'm having the same issue with sending emails between accounts on the same domain.

For example, if abc.com is a domain on my server and i send a message from test@gmail.com to test@abc.com, no problems. If I send a message from test@abc.com to test2@abc.com, it doesn't show up.

Note: Other domains on this server do not have the same issue.

3. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

What do the exim logs say when sending mail (see /var/log for exim_XXX for the different logs)?

Is the domain present in /etc/remotedomains?

4. adamntabor

adamntabor Registered

After looking in exim logs and /etc/remotedomains ...

This is the only line that appears in the exim logs when I have a user send to another on the domain (modified for privacy):

2007-07-27 14:30:08 1IEUZk-00057p-ML <= johndoe@johndoe.com H=(IT2) [1.2.3.4] P=smtp S=1342 id=004201c7d07c$6eed0e20$0e03a8c0@johndoe.local T="test2"

Also, the domain is not listed in /etc/remotedomains. In fact there are NO domains listed in that file.

#4 adamntabor, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  5. DaveUsedToWorkHere

If you are sending mail to a domain on that server, you should see an immediate response. Something like this test on one of my servers:

2007-07-27 13:45:41 1IEUon-0002sp-Me <= gator@xxxx.com H=ng1.cptxoffice.net ([4.3.2.1]) [1.2.3.4] P=esmtpa A=fixed_plain:gator@xxxx.com S=593 id=96800FA9-47F1-4BEF-A2E8-2764D28949C3@xxxxx.com
    2007-07-27 13:45:41 1IEUon-0002sp-Me => dave <dave@xxxx.com> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery
    2007-07-27 13:45:41 1IEUon-0002sp-Me Completed

try checking the other exim logs when sending:

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/exim_rejectlog

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/exim_paniclog

6. DaveUsedToWorkHere

This is a good thing, local domains should be listed in /etc/localdomains

7. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    grep 1IEUZk-00057p-ML /var/log/exim_mainlog

This will show more of the logging for the sending of that particular sent email.

Mike

8. adamntabor

adamntabor Registered

And not a thing has helped ... emails not sending between accounts (still)

I tried viewing the suggested logs, grepping out the specific message by unique stamp, and double-checking where the domains were located (/etc/remotedomains vs. /etc/localdomains)

The confirmation "Completed" message still is not coming through on the main log for this domain when an email is sent from one account to another.

Any more ideas?

9. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Well this may sound odd, but its worth a try.

If you have SSH access to the server and can get into the file structure for that cpanel account try this:

1) Have one email account user send a email to the other and tell them to make the subject some unusual word that is not likely to be used. Something like "rutabaga" or whatever. Spelling must be exact and tell them lower case, since the servers are case sensitive.

2) SSH or go to the console of the machine and go into the "/home/accountname/mail"

3) Do this: fgrep -R "rutabaga" *

This will show if that email went ANYWHERE in the mail file structure for that account. The fgrep will show the path and filename if it finds it. This way at least you can tell if the email is actually ending up in the server.

Of course they must do exactly as you tell them AND you must check before anyone can read or delete email for that domain.

This will at least confirm if the email actually ended up in the account, somewhere, perhaps spam or something else. If there is any forwarding of course you wont see it but its worth trying.

#9 nyjimbo, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007