The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email clients fail at password

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by brianx, Aug 29, 2015.

1. brianx

brianx Registered

Aug 29, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have a large number of email accounts with my host who uses a standard cpanel. I am experimenting with different email clients on my PC. None of these have auto configuration scripts available on my cpanel.

I follow the manual configuration religiously but it never works for any of my email clients - Thunderbird, Mailbird, Everdesk, Postbox etc. Even when they DO connect, they fall over at the password stage.

When setting up an account in a client, I am asked for a password. Sometimes this has to be the host access password and other times my email access password. I find this very confusing. But trying either fails to work!

My host said not to use Thunderbird because of issues they identified with it. Any support request to them for other email clients results in boilerplate responses (it is Bluehost).

Some email clients will autodetect settings for my accounts. But get it wrong every time. The insist on using imap.address whereas the host cpanel says to use or similar. Once my host said not to use SSL/TLS or SSSL other times said it is a must.

The whole situation is a mess. Bluehost don't seem interested. Can anyone on cpanel enlighten me please?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is really an issue that your web hosting provider will need to address. You may want to ask them to review /var/log/maillog at the time of your email failure to see what the specific error message is. It's possible the email account is locked out by cPHulk brute force detection.

Thank you.