The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Configuration / DNS Issue - FAIL: Connect to mail server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by celiac101, Dec 19, 2012.

1. celiac101

celiac101 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am having an issue with this domain "wheat-free.com" on a newly configured server. Here is the error I see at DNSSTUFF.COM:
    FAIL: Connect to mail server - All connections to Mailservers port 25 have failed. The standard port for SMTP transactions is 25, so your servers should be operating on that port. It is recommended that it be fixed in order for your mail service to operate properly. The Mail Servers that failed are:
    198.24.145.122 | failed message send with: messaging failure: Time out occurred or Remote server closed connection prematurely

You can see this error here:
    Professional Toolset | DNSstuff

I can't find anything on the Internet about this error. Port 25 is on and listening. Any ideas?

Thank you.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If port 25 is on and listening, you should be able to "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25" and get a banner.

If you have a firewall installed, the firewall may be blocking port 25 access from the outside world even though the mailserver is listening on port 25?

How do you know the mailserver is listening on port 25? What mailserver? I assume you're running cPanel, right?

M

3. celiac101

celiac101 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I appreciate the quick reply, and I am running WHM 11.34.1 (build 5) . I know it is listening on port 25 because I ran this on command line:
    netstat -tunap | grep LIST
    and in the results I see:
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3083/exim

I am not well-versed in cpanel, and could use guidance on how to check for a firewall setting that may cause this. Your help is appreciated, thank you.

4. celiac101

celiac101 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I was able to telnet to the server and get a proper header response. I wonder if it is a timing issue...a restriction on how long the port is open? Do you know where such a setting might be?