The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email connection only works in wi-fi

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by panit, Mar 23, 2014.

1. panit

panit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I have a client that got a new phone. He set it up and found that it works fine as long as there is a wi-fi connection but if there isn't one and the phone switches to 4g mode, the connection fails. He said he was on the street where there wasn't a wi-fi connection and his email wouldn't work. Then he went into a restaurant that had a wi-fi connection and the email started working.

He says he has email accounts elsewhere, like gmail, and the problem doesn't exist with them. He said he spoke with his ISP and the phone manufacturer and they both said the problem was on the server (cpanel). He said he tried setting up the email accounts using ssl and no ssl and both IMap and pop3 - all act the same way.

I'm not having any troubles with any other clients but I've no way of knowing if they have 4G phones so maybe this is the situation. Is there some change I need to make in cpanel to allow this to work?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    He/the mobile IP, may have been blocked by cPHulk.
    WHM » Security Center » cPHulk Brute Force Protection

In only that area, or any area away from WiFi?

3. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

The server (exim) doesn't care about the type of connection, so I seriously doubt that this is a server issue. This seems to be something on the phone itself. I personally use my phone to connect to my email (running Exim) with both wifi and 4G connections and there is no difference.

The best thing I can offer is that you monitor your /var/log/maillog file while the customer is trying to connect using 4G and see if you see anything. If not, the connection isn't making it to the server and so that means that there is something with the phone.

If you do see errors, then list them here so we can try to diagnose the issue.