The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email date stamp

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by intheusa, Apr 30, 2007.

1. intheusa

intheusa Member

I was recently with a Cpanel Web provider and switched because the incoming mail date stamping is going back in time. About ever 7 to 14 days the date keeps backing up putting my incoming email completely out of order. It also messed up my boxtrapper quene.

The Web provider was totally unresponsive to any emails to support or even billing. I mean 30 to 40 emails. I have cancelled service and redirected DNS but they will not respond with any confirmation.

Whats the purpose of this changing (moving backwards in time) of dates ???

#1 intheusa, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. onepursuit

onepursuit Member

I've been using CPanel for years on several servers with at least three different providers, and I have never encountered the issue you're referring to. Without more background info about your specific situation, it's hard to tell if that issue is even related to CPanel at all. If the system date of your server was somehow being reset, that would cause the date stamps on the emails to get "messed up," and that likely had nothing to do with CPanel itself.

Wish I could be more helpful...

3. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

sounds like bad systems administration.
    you'd have to do more digging to determine exactly the problem.
    checking the mail headers and look at all the places your email travelled and what timestamps are on them, would tell you exactly where the problem is.
    it's possible, they're just getting stuck on their server in a queue and then delivered days later which would make them appear old, since your email software probably lists the date sent rather than the date delivered.

otherwise, if they're really setting back the date on their server, then there's something terribly wrong.. they may have a weird cron job that resets the date and computes it wrong.

if it's off by some hours, then it's probably just a wrong timezone setting, but if it's off by days, then it's definitely something they're doing.

4. intheusa

intheusa Member

email

Its a deliberate action, and it started happening a few months back. The dates stamps would progress forward for days after it was reset, and then every ten to 12 days later the date would be backed up again. One of the my last emails I received on the Host provider had incoming date of 3/13/2007 and was sent on 4/23/2007. My new web host is Cpanel and everything is fine.

I suspect it has something to do with licensing fees, but its very frustrating when your incoming mail out of order.

I posted here in this forum as I thought it may have something to do with Cpanel license.

5. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

noooo.. even a cpanel host that's out of license would still track the correct dates.

as far as I know.. all that really happens if you're license expires is that you dont get cpanel updates or support -- otherwise, the system keeps functioning.

as far as I know.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your WHM locks until you fix the licence problem. This doesn't sound like that. It sounds like system clock drift to me. If the clock goes off time many things get screwed up. Take the random posts being out of order on this very forum, as an example.

Are you by chance, running RHE with a dual core CPU?