Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Email & Disc Usage

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by MickKnight, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:08 AM.

1. MickKnight

MickKnight Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    On logging into WHM and selecting any of the domains hosted and selecting the cPanel access to that domain, no matter what gets deleted via the file manger with regards to email storage, the disk usage function from cPanel, does not update the correct disk space being used and still reports the same amount of megabytes still in use with the email account.

I had one domain set to have a disk quota limit of 1000mb with 1 email account set to a 500mb limit, after a few months, customer complained of problems with sending and receiving emails, on checking the disk usage, the site itself used only 50mb leaving a total space of 950mb with an email account set to 500mb out of this total, the email account had actually reached its 500mb total and after deleting every single email whether it be a sent email or a received email and also from every other folder within the email account including the trash and tmp folders, the disk usage still stipulated the email account was still using 500mb of disk space and would not free up the space again on the server. Am I doing something wrong here or is this some kind of cache issue since a recent upgrade of cPanel on my reseller account and hosted by a reputable provider.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @MickKnight

We have a couple of internal cases open in regard to Email Quota not being modified on the removal of email with POP3 but it could also be a few other things. Are you aware if your provider is running CloudLinux? If so there are some quota related considerations that need to be made which they should already be aware of. On that same note have you addressed the issue with your provider? They should be able to identify why the quota is not being updated properly.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MickKnight

MickKnight Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi @cPanelLauren,

Many thanks for your reply, I have already passed this information on to my hosting provider and they are running CloudLinux 6.10 however, I have had no information back from them with regards to things that need quota related considerations, as they say everything is fine at their end.

Can you be more specific so that I can relay this information back to them should they have missed something that is contributing to this misread quota limits after file deletions.

Many thanks again.

4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @MickKnight

The documentation here goes over this How to Fix Quotas - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
    Specifically:
    It may just be that they need to run fixquotas further to that - it would be useful to know how the user is checking mail - are they using a mail client? What version of cPanel is the server running on?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MickKnight

MickKnight Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi @cPanelLauren

I will ask the providers concerned if they are or have run fixquotas on the servers involved.

Both servers at the moment are running WHM/cPanel versions of v72.0.9

Problems with the email accounts are via email clients such as Microsoft Outlook and the likes, once the email client reports back with what I would imagine would be bounce back email error messages due to quota limits reached, the users are deleting stored emails within their client software and also emptying the trash can/recycle bin but the space via the IMAP account is not releasing the space back to their quota limits and remains at the same megabyte storage before deletions have taken place.

Only a support ticket into the hosting provider and I'd imagine, a re-boot of the server actually shows the email accounts true storage and has only started to happen over the last 12 months but I'm sure as a reseller provider myself, should not have to keep getting in touch with the hosting provider to keep re-booting the server to stop more customer email complaints.

I'm at a loss at the moment with how I can fully rectify this issue fully, as like I said previously, this never used to happen before and normally when logging into a customers cPanel and manually deleting files, automatically altered the space in megabytes to that domains quota limits on their email accounts when looking via the Disk Usage function.

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The issues with dovecot not releasing space properly were in relation to mail being deleted over POP3 not IMAP too, so I don't believe that would be it, but from what you're saying it sounds like they're running fixquotas or recreating the dovecot index files which is updating the quota information, though it's hard to know from where we stand. In the event they're unable to find the cause of the issue your provider is more than welcome to open a ticket with us into this issue in the event they're not able to identify the cause but they would need to as we need root access to the system in order to investigate.

7. MickKnight

MickKnight Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Ok thanks, I will pass this information on to them and see what they say, your time appreciated

8. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @MickKnight

You're more than welcome, I hope you are able to obtain a solution soon if there's any further questions or concerns we can address we'd be happy to!

Thanks!