The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Optimus, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Optimus

Optimus Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are on our new dedicated server, I setup email id on my Mac and it works fine from the office but when i use the same Mac laptop in my home and check email it doesnt work. Account goes offline in home.

please remeber in office we have different ISP and in home i have different ISP.

Plus sometimes when i send emails with attachments to an address it goes fine and deliver too to the destination address but the desination user only can download the email but cannot download the attachemnts from my email id and when i checked online in my Roundcube , Horde or Squier mail box in my sent items the attachment is there but not delivered to the user whom i sent the email?

What could be issue, as i am handling this email system for my office, my company is on my nerves. Please please help me..... i can't afford to loose my job :(

Note: We are using Devocotmail settings should i select Courier and select courier will effect the email users or email settings like sending or receiving protocols?

#1 Optimus, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you provide us with the exact error message you are receiving in your email client?

Thank you.

3. Optimus

Optimus Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    in my Office my my email works fine on Mac Notebook but when i go home it says my email account is offline.

Note: I m using port 25 for outgoing mail and please remeber in office we have different ISP and in home i have different ISP.

4. Hostech

Hostech Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please let me know which mail client are you using as well as can you put here your error while sending mail ? So that all Cpanel member assist you better.

5. Optimus

Optimus Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i do not get any error in my office while sending email, only in home account shows its offline.

my mail client is Apple OS 10.7 's default mail client

6. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    try this

go to terminal ( applications / utilities and then choose terminal )

Now type the following in - be sure to change hostname to be the name of your website

telnet mail.hostname.com 25

And post the response (if any)

Here is a response from my server when I do it - our internal server is called training-staff-how-to-wrangle-clouds.hopoffacloud.com so I use that instead of mail.hostname.com

You should see something similar - if you do not - it could be that your ISP is blocking mail port 25.
    If this is the case simply ask your provider what alternate port they use for SMTP (most use 26)

7. Optimus

Optimus Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i tired changing port to 25 and also tried with telnet its working fine with port25 and port26

but still in my home i am not able to send or recive emails but in my office it works fine with same settings.

8. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    a little bit more info would help

When you do the telnet test from home - what shows -

(give a screen cap or copy and paste)

9. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you receiving any failure message when trying to send and receive from home? If so, what is the exact error message rather than a synopsis of it. If you aren't able to copy the exact error, please take a screen print of it and attach that to your post.

Could you try downloading Mozilla Thunderbird (Mozilla Thunderbird) and setup the email account on it? It has a Mac available copy for download. This way we can see if it is actually your home computer or simply Mac Mail itself that is the issue.