The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Domain Forwarders

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by soisix, Dec 23, 2009.

1. soisix

soisix Member

I am trying to set it up so that all mail for domain1 is forwarded to domain2

So I have setup a Email Domain Forwarder rule - and in theory this should forward all mail from domain1 to domain2 without needing to create individual forwarders for each mail account.

Is this correct?

I only ask as it is currently not working and my hosting company is trying to tell me that I need to setup individual email account forwarders and cannot use the Domain Forwarder for this.

All help appreciated

Dan

2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I understand the feature....

If you have email accounts or forwarders set up like this:

user1@maindomain.com
    user2@maindomain.com
    user3@maindomain.com

And then you set up an Email Domain Forwarder like this:

addondomain.com to -> maindomain.com

Then this will occur:

Mail to user1@addondomain.com -> forwarded to user1@maindomain.com
    Mail to user2@addondomain.com -> forwarded to user2@maindomain.com
    Mail to user3@addondomain.com -> forwarded to user3@maindomain.com

If it is not working, you might check to be sure your add-on domain is pointed to the right DNS servers, has proper MX entries, etc. Check your domains at http://www.intodns.com

- Scott

#2 sneader, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
    cPanelDon likes this.
  3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    It is possible to forward e-mail from one domain to another as sneader described using an E-mail Domain Forwarder as setup via cPanel. For additional reference information I recommend reviewing the following documentation: Forwarders

I believe your understanding is correct, but I think there was a minor typo in the direction of the provided example domain forwarder. For the resulting forwarder/redirect action, where e-mail sent to an address at the add-on domain is forwarded/redirected to the equivalent address at the primary (main) domain, the e-mail domain forwarder should be setup as follows: addondomain.com to maindomain.com

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good catch, Dan. Indeed, that was a mistake. I've edited my post to reflect the corrected instructions.

Merry Christmas!

- Scott

5. soisix

soisix Member

Thanks

Could the issue be that I am trying forward from maindomain to addondomain as our maindomain will be defunct soon - due to trademarks

Thanks again

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The forwarder should still work in either direction; however, there may be something else I'm not yet aware of that could be affecting the expected result. In trying to better understand the situation it will help to know additional detail. Is there an e-mail account setup on the add-on domain to receive the desired e-mail (forwarded from the primary/main domain)?

Where possible, please try to elaborate on the specific symptoms that indicate the problem and if any existing e-mail accounts and or other forwarders exist for the two domains involved; any extra information may help with ensuring a more accurate diagnosis.

I would also consider asking your hosting service provider to submit a support request directly to us so that we may take a closer look at the issue; if they would do this, please ask them to provide you with the cPanel ticket ID number so I may follow-up internally and review the details. A support request may be submitted via the WHM Support Center or via the link in my forums signature.