The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Duplication

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nazeems, Apr 4, 2012.

1. nazeems

nazeems Registered

Hi,

We have mail duplication issue with multiple servers with Exim/Dovecot. Issue with both sending and receiving, receiver getting multiple copy of the same mails. We've tried updateing cPanel/exim/Dovecot and tried switching Dovecot to courier, but still the issue there. Unfortunately I cant reproduce the issue, but multiple clients on multiple servers have this issue. Please advise.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure how helpful this is, but can you check with one of these users to see if:
    a) they are using POP3.
    b) in their email client settings do they have "Leave a copy of messages on the server" setting enabled.

In looking around at other older threads on this forum there are some comments suggesting this to be an issue.

3. nazeems

nazeems Registered

Thank you for the update!

But, how come this to be an issue with multiple clients on multiple servers also from multiple locations. Also some have issues with sending mails, mails are keeping in outbox and keep trying to send mails and remote receiver getting many copies of same emails. The issue is with both sending and receiving.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm sorry but I can't answer that properly. You might want to open a ticket with cPanel Support so they can come and take a closer look at this for you.

5. agudiel

agudiel Member

I'm having the same problem. This is what i've found so far.

This is only hapening with 1 internet provider here in my country and with all of my servers (WHM 11.30.6, exim-4.69-30).

While debugging, we found that the problem is a reverse lookup validation. You see, the customer connects with my server using IP X.X.X.X, this IP has a reverse lookup of host-out.domain.com but host-out.domain.com has no IP (no A record), this results in gethostbyname2 taking for ever (gethostbyname2 (af=inet6) returned 2 TRY_AGAIN) and the comunication timing out leaving the email in the outbox.

Testing around, we found that if I comment out this lines
    # accept hosts = 127.0.0.1 : +relay_hosts
    AND
    # accept
    # hosts = +trustedmailhosts

In the check_message: block within my exim.conf, it works because for some reason, the "+" searches need to look for the host name and then check for the IP. I commented out this lines in only one of my servers, one with just one customer, and it seems to be working, but I'm afraid I might have ruined something else since I'm no exim expert.

I've already posted this on a ticket through my provider (peer1). Waiting for a response.

What do you think?

6. agudiel

agudiel Member

UPDATE.

Instead of commenting everything I commented in the last post, now I've tried this

Comment this line
    #accept hosts = 127.0.0.1 : +relay_hosts

And add this
    accept hosts = 127.0.0.1 : net-iplsearch;/etc/relayhosts

This is forcing a IP lookup in /etc/relayhosts, instead of a name lookup thus avoiding the use of gethostbyname2.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Can anyone confirm if this is a BUG in the exim default configuration?