Email Filter To Reject Mail If Sent To Multiple Recipients

MoreBeer

Aug 13, 2017
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I need to create an email filter to reject email if the message was sent to multiple recipients. So, if the message has 7 people within the To Field, it would be rejected. Ideally I'd like the filter to reject the incoming mail if the To Field contains more than 3 recipients.

Have been trying all kinds of things with no success. I would assume there's some sort of regex code for this, but can only find regex for email validation.

Need this to help eliminate spam. Any help is immensely appreciated!

Thanks.

24x7server

Apr 17, 2013
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi,

You can configure it directly in the exim through a setting called recipients_max. Check the below link:
14. Main configuration

Open the Exim Configuration Editor and switch to Advanced Mode. In the very first edit box, enter the following lines and click Save:
recipients_max = 10
recipients_max_reject = true

MoreBeer

Aug 13, 2017
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

You can configure it directly in the exim through a setting called recipients_max. Check the below link:
14. Main configuration

Open the Exim Configuration Editor and switch to Advanced Mode. In the very first edit box, enter the following lines and click Save:
recipients_max = 10
recipients_max_reject = true
Thank you so much for this! I've been getting 100+ spam emails per day that get around all the spam filters. Each poses to be an individual email sent to 6 or 7 people and the IP's are all clean. This edit will finally stop it. Thank you again for the information, much appreciated.

MoreBeer

Aug 13, 2017
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Update: I set the parameters as specified, saved and exim was restarted. I then sent an email to my primary account and included 5 other recipients. The mail was still received?

- Removed -

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Those settings are for messages sent through SMTP on the cPanel server. Are you sending the test email from an email account hosted on the cPanel server, and are the multiple recipients external email addresses?

Thank you.

MoreBeer

Aug 13, 2017
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Those settings are for messages sent through SMTP on the cPanel server. Are you sending the test email from an email account hosted on the cPanel server, and are the multiple recipients external email addresses?

Thank you.
I was sending the test mail from a Gmail account using their web client. I sent the test to my primary email address, the one which is receiving the spam in addition including 5 other test email accounts as recipients. These test accounts I have elsewhere (not on my server) such as Yahoo, AOL, Gmail, etc. I use for testing. I have since enabled Spamassassin with a setting of 10 for this particular domain, which seems to have stopped them, although not 100% sure yet as I get most through the night. Although I'd rather not have Spamassassin enabled due to possibly missing real questions and software unlock requests from customers.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

The recipients_max value in Exim is only application to outgoing messages sent via SMTP from the cPanel server. As far as blocking incoming SPAM emails, have you considered enabling Greylisting? It's documented at:

Greylisting - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

MoreBeer

Aug 13, 2017
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

The recipients_max value in Exim is only application to outgoing messages sent via SMTP from the cPanel server. As far as blocking incoming SPAM emails, have you considered enabling Greylisting? It's documented at:

Greylisting - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.
Thanks, I'll look into that. The way it originally sounded to me was that the exim limitation rule would reject incoming mail sent to a defined number of recipients. That might be a good feature to look into implementing as spammers are getting around just about every defense method.

Reactions: cPanelMichael