The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Forwarders Not Working

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gulshan2009, Dec 10, 2009.

1. gulshan2009

gulshan2009 Member

hello every one,

i got cPanel Build 11.25.0-CURRENT 40255
    and i am facing the problem of not receiving emails from Email forwarders,
    i am on dedicated server... i have added 5 email forwarders each for different domains, but there is some problem that i am not receiving emails, i am testing this by sending email to my self from my gmail to user@domain.com but i did not received any thing...

i have double checked the email forwarders option and and sent many emails from gmail.......

Another thing i checked out is : i tried to send email from my server using Roudcube Webmail to my gmail, and it works, instantly i got email... then i sent email from gmail to servers webmail it also worked....

please help me, i can provide more information if needed

thanks

2. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

How did you create the email forwarders?
    Do you get any bounce back or error message to gmail?

Open the file /etc/valiases/domainname.com and check if the forwarders are there.

Note: Replace domainname.com by the actual domain name.

3. gulshan2009

gulshan2009 Member

hey mate,

how i created :
    first i opened Cpanel >>> Mail >>> Forwarders >>> Clicked on [ Add Forwarder ]
    then i added : admin@mydomain.com to my username@gmail.com and finally clicked on "Add Forwarder" then i got message :

All email sent to admin@mydomain.com will now be redirected to username@gmail.com

but when i try to send email on : admin@mydomain.com its not being forwarded to my gmail......

I have not received any bounce back or error message to my gmail

now when i checked : /etc/valiases/domainname.com..... i opened that file in notepad, and i see all the forwarders are there......

but still no success!!!! sooo pls help....

thanks

4. gulshan2009

gulshan2009 Member

Allright i got it :D

it wont work, if i send email from same gmail address to my server (which is associated with the forwarder) :D

thanks every one...

5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If the issue reoccurs or if there is any future difficulty with e-mail forwarding or general e-mail sending and delivery attempts, please check the Exim mail server log to see both prior SMTP activity as well as to monitor current SMTP activity as it is happening. Some examples of the data Exim will log include both locally-delivered e-mails in addition to forwarded e-mails and also bounced messages and related errors. Viewing the log data will help to determine where the issue might be and will help verify if the recipient mail sever accepted the e-mail or not. It is possible that the (forwarded) e-mail may be accepted by the recipient's mail server but held in a queue pending delivery at a later time or after additional processing; this also depends on the recipient's mail server configuration and applicable Spam or other filtering criteria used by the third-party mail service (e.g., Gmail).

Here is the Exim log file path:
    Code:
    /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Here is a command that can be used to safely view the file via root SSH access:
    Code:
    # less /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Here is a command that can be used to monitor for new log messages, such as before and during any testing of e-mail forwarders; new log output will be displayed on-screen:
    Code:
    # tail -fvn0 /var/log/exim_mainlog