The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Forwarders Storage Location

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hmeininger, May 22, 2006.

1. hmeininger

hmeininger Registered

I am not sure if this is a question for CPanel or for the server itself, but I figured I would try here first.

We have just recently moved to a new server that uses CPanel. So far, I am really liking it.

My main problem is that on our old server, we had a file that held all of the email redirect information for each site. We were able to create a php script that allowed the site administrators for each site to add email forwarders as needed, without having to access the control panel for the server/site.

I have searched and searched and cannot find where CPanel stores this information. Is it in a file (the last one used a file called .redirect that was located in the home directory of each site)? Is it stored in a database somewhere?

I am freaking out thinking that I am going to have to take over handling all these forwarders again. Each of our sites has a number of managers and moderators and we give them all an email forward to receive mail to, so they do not have to give out their personal email address for business purposes. We are talking about a LOT of redirects, with a lot of regular changes, as mods and managers from each site step down and step up :confused:

If anyone can direct me to where we can manipulate these addresses OUTSIDE of CPanel, you would be seriously making my life so much easier! I cannot give CPanel access to each site admin (we currently have 20!) because that is just too many hands in the pot. And since we are an NPO, our staff is too stretched as it is to have one person handling a mammoth job like this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, even if it is just pointing me in another direction!

Warmest Regards,
    Heather

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

the forwarder rules for each domain are stored in the following files:

/etc/valiases/domain.com

"domain.com" = the domain name you are talking about

The format of these files is straightforward as you will see when you take a look.

3. hmeininger

hmeininger Registered

:confused:

I don't see that folder in my list (using Putty)

In my etc folder, I have two directorys:

themommiesnetwork.org
    lexingtonmommies.com

I also have two files:

ftpquota
    .imapv4cp5c

inside each of those folders, i have the following files:

passswd
    passwd,v
    quota
    quota,v
    shadow
    shadow,v

Am I looking in the wrong place?
    I am currently adding the one site's forwards (50!) and I would love to be able to avoid doing this on the other 16 sites I am moving this weekend!

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

That looks liek what you would have in etc for a regular user.

I am talking about the domains inside /etc/valiases/ . You would do this in a su shell session. Don't go inside a user's folder. Just plain /etc/valiases/domain_here

5. hmeininger

hmeininger Registered

Thank you soooo much!
    I was looking in the wrong place -- chalk it up to look at Putty too much this weekend!

You are a LIFESAVER!
    It is set up nearly the same way as our other server, so it will be a really easy switch for us :)

6. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

It's in the root of the server.