The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email forwarding and settings.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pratapsingh, Nov 4, 2009.

1. pratapsingh

pratapsingh Active Member

Hello

I hope this is the right place to ask this and hope I am making sense.

Please advice whether it is possible or not because, I am getting any way to configure email setting to meet our expectations. We would like to have a centralized email system. The requirements are as follows:

1. All emails sent to any email id should be redirected to default@domain.com. No email account will directly receive any emails.
    2. From default@domain.com the same will be forwarded to the respective email accounts.
    3. The replies from the email account should carry a default bcc/cc'ed to
    default@domain.com.
    I would really appreciate any comments or suggestion in order to resolve my issue.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am assuming that you will retrieve all email from default@domain.com via POP3 and disperse it locally to a mail server on your site to the individual destination recipients?

Choice #1

1. In your cPanel interface, set up a single POP3 account on the cpanel server, default@domain.com

2. In your cPanel interface, set the default address to forward to default@domain.com (instead of having the default set to blackhole, fail, etc)

In this way, ANY mail for the domain, whether it is to a legitimate recipient within that domain, will be deposited in the default@domain.com email account, which you can then retrieve via POP3.

A better suggestion, but much more cumbersome, would be:

Choice #2

1. In cPanel, set up a POP3 account called default@domain.com

2 In cPanel, set up an forwarder for EACH VALID email account, with that forwarder's destination set to default@domain.com

3. In cPanel, set the Default Address to something like ":fail: No such user"

Accepting all mail for a domain, even to nonexistent email addresses in that domain, will put a higher load on the cPanel server, will cause you to get unneeded spam, and poses an increase risk of an email denial of service on the cPanel server because somebody could tie up all the system resources forcing the mail server to process mail for addresses that are nonexistent within the recipient domain.

Choice #2 is the recommended way to do this if you must do this at all. It is cumbersome to do this if you have a lot of email accounts @domain.com, but it is the better way to do it.

Mike

#2 mtindor, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The solutions detailed by mtindor (Mike) should be the easiest to setup, and he is correct in regard to the use of a default address (catch-all); I would personally suggest "choice #2" where there is a unique, matching e-mail forwarder setup for each e-mail account; this will allow for minimal intervention so that deliveries to individual e-mail addresses are fully automated without risk using a default address as a "catch-all."

Using a default address set to something like ":fail: No Such User Here" is recommended to minimize inbound Spam and abuse; if there is an e-mail account defined for the default address then this makes it possible for Spammers to send Spam to automatically generated, random e-mail addresses at the hosted domain. To note, as long as ":fail:" is entered it is OK to customize the message that follows; the message will be seen by the sender's (Spammer's) mail server when your mail server rejects incoming attempts to send to unrecognized e-mail addresses (e.g., any e-mail address that does not match a configured e-mail account or forwarder).

#3 cPanelDon, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. pratapsingh

pratapsingh Active Member

Sorry for delay, Sorry for troubling you guys again.
    Thanks for the replies. Really makes sense to me but my query is little different.
    I hope this time I am making it clear.
    Thank you again in advance

I want all the mails first come to my email account which in this case default@domain.com (eg pratap@domainname.com). There are may other email accounts for the domain.

Condition 1 :
    If someone sends a mail to email account test@domainname.com >> this mail should come to my email id first then it should get deliver to the respective email account. I do not want to create forwarder for this.
    Condition 2 :

If someone send mail using my domain email account then a cc/bcc should come to my default account which is in this case pratap@domainname.com .

Condition 3 :

I want to set my email account as a centralized mail account which will act on behalf of other email accounts.

I hope I am making sense. I just want to know whether this is possible with cPanel or I need to hire a developer.

5. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Yes, whatever you said makes sense but unfortunately not possible in the first case at least via cPanel. An email sent to test@domainname.com will go to 'test' email account and a copy will be forwarded to you if a forwarder is set.

With respect to the second issue, you can make the necessary changes in the exim configuration to receive a copy of an email on your email account send from any email account of the domain.

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Friendly Moderator Note

I've relocated this thread into the Mail discussion forum as it relates to a uniquely customized solution to mail routing and forwarding functionality.

The described scenario I believe would require significant customization that is outside of the stock-default configurations of Exim in cPanel/WHM; hiring a developer/programmer as was suggested may be a viable method to proceed forward.