The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email forwarding issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by abubin, Mar 20, 2006.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

I have been using email forwarding for some of my users where I setup one pop3 mailbox and then create a forwarding to forward emails to another account.

sam@email.com <=== pop3 mail box
    sam@email.com -- forward to --> sam2@domain.com <==== forwarding

With such setup, when email arrive at the server, it will forward one copy to sam2@domain.com and keep a copy at sam@email.com. I had this tested and know that it's working since doing it a year back.

Then recently I found that something had changed. I currently have these :

sam@email.com <=== pop3 mail box
    sam@email.com -- forward to --> sam@email.com <==== forwarding
    sam@email.com -- forward to --> sam2@domain.com <==== forwarding

Yes, I have one extra forwarding for sam to go back to his own mailbox. Is this correct? Is this because of the maildir upgrade?

AFAIK, when I was testing this forwarding feature, it won't work if I have more than 1 forwarding configured for same email account. But due to the change to maildir, I am not sure anymore.

Anyone can confirm :

1) is this caused by maildir upgrade?
    2) what is the correct way now if I want an email to arrive at a mailbox and forward a copy to another account?

Thanks.

2. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

another strange issue I encountered is this.

I removed one of the forwarding of

sam@email.com -- forward to --> sam@email.com <==== forwarding

Then when I tried to add it back, it won't add. It will give me successful status but it just doesn't add. But somehow it works when I do a test mail. That means a mail will go to userbox and forwarded.

Does that means I have to remove all entries in my cpanel forwarding with statement that have a mail forwarded back to the user's own box?

3. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

As a general rule, you don't want a forward to point to the same box from which it originates... that creates a loop which could cause serious issues.

I can't see how maildir conversion would do that... it has nothing to do with addresses, just the format in which messages are stored.

The configuration you first mentioned is correct... use that.

4. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

hmm...strange that why that second configuration appeared out of nowhere.

5. shaahin

shaahin Registered

forwarded email be deleted from server

I setup an email address like foo@bar.com
    then since mailbox is not big, I prefered to forward it to my gmail address.

the question is: how can I delet it form my server when it is forwarded and how not to do the deletion from my server?
    and what is the default status?
    tia,
    shaahin

6. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you just want to forward e-mail, then you just set up the forwarder and do not set it up as a POP account.

If you setup an e-mail address as both a POP account and as a e-mail forwarder, then mail will forward to the forwarded address, and it will also collect on the server. It is not necessary to have a POP account set up for a forwarder to work.