The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email forwarding not working - need xcheck

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by speleo, Oct 16, 2005.

1. speleo

speleo Member

Hi,

I’m having problems with email forwarding on my domain. Been reading through the forum and the cPanel manual (which is very lightweight) and can’t see the answer. I reckon I have things set up right but would like a cross check before I hassle my host.

I’ve got a number of email address set up via the “Manage/Add/Remove Accounts” dialog. Examples of these are:

bookings@domain1.co.uk
    editor@domain1.co.uk
    membership@domain1.co.uk
    secretary@domain1.co.uk

I wanted to setup a catchall to send the mail to an address on a different domain. So I used the format name@new-domain.com in “Default Address” dialog. Now I’d assumed that if I send a mail to an unknown address at my domain it would be forward to name@new-domain.com, but it doesn’t. No mails are returned as undelivered, they just disappear in the ether. I thought maybe that I need to have an explicit address such as the one my ISP provided but it makes no difference.

Sending a mail to a known address results in the mail landing in the address’ POP. Setting up Forwarders has no effect. As with the Default Address nothing happens.

However if I use a filter in the format $header_to: contains "bookings@domain1.co.uk" send it to name@new-domain.com then the mail is forwarded as expected.

Now, I reckon I’ve got the syntax right but the forwarding is just bust on the server. Am I right or is there a fundamental mistake here.

Thanks

2. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Please try setting it up to deliver to a local address/domain, then go in and create a forwarder for the local address to foward to an external account at a different domain.

Dont create an actual account for the address only a forwarder.

3. speleo

speleo Member

Paul,

Hmm. Still no go. I’ve tried the following:

Set the “default address” to go to the:
    • The sites default address.
    • A defined address
    • An undefined address

All these options have been tried with
    • A filter only and a forwarder only
    • A fully formed address and just the part before the @domain

All of the above return the mail with the message: (domain name has been changed)
    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

bob@domainname.org.uk
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<bob@ domainname.org.uk>:
    host domainname.uk [69.90.120.10]: 550-"The recipient cannot be verified. Please check all recipients of this
    550 message to verify they are valid."

This shouldn’t be rocket science. In my small mind I thought that if you set up a default address to go to another account then it will work. I’ve done this stuff under Plesk and it is trivial. It’s a shame that the cPanel documentation is so lightweight and does not discuss syntax. I would have assumed that most small sites would want to setup some kind of catchall.

The domain name has a hyphen in it but this is a properly formed domain name so should work….

Thanks, Henry

4. bijo

bijo Well-Known Member

Hello Henry,

In this case only your host can solve this issue. He can find out the exact problem by checking the exim logs, valiases and also filters of that domain.

5. speleo

speleo Member

OK...many thanks. I was starting to think as much. Will try and find out what they discover and post back to help others.