The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Forwarding Not Working...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PrfctGdess, Aug 1, 2011.

1. PrfctGdess

PrfctGdess Registered

My email and website are both hosted on my cPanel account, user@mydomain.com. I want to forward all my email from user@mydomain.com to another email address, user@newdomain.com. I have a mailbox on cPanel for user@mydomain.com.

So I set up a forwarder in my cPanel account to send all email received by user@mydomain.com to user@newdomain.com. Doesn't work. I can still log into the webmail for user@mydomain.com and see my emails, and I can receive emails sent to both boxes, but nothing forwards from one to the other. Any ideas? What am I missing? THanks!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have access to the exim log files? If so, then check using exigrep to find out what is happening:

Code:
    exigrep user@mydomain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
    It should show an attempt to use the forwarder. If it shows any errors, then you'd want to check the forwarder file at /etc/valiases/mydomain.com to ensure it has the right ownership and file permissions. It should look similar to the following:

Code:
    root@host [/etc/valiases]# ls -lah mydomain.com 
    -rw-r----- 1 username mail 12 Aug  1 11:20 mydomain.com
    Here username would be the cPanel username for the account, while mydomain.com would be the domain being forwarded.

If you do not have access to check exim log files or check file permissions on the system, you would need to contact your hosting provider to obtain those details and have the provider troubleshoot this issue.