The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email forwarding works but causes errors

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dev.null, Mar 11, 2005.

1. dev.null

dev.null Well-Known Member

we have a number of email forwards that come in to a forward and are sent out to several users. The all work fine except for one.

The forwarder is ccim@fishercreative.com, and it forwards to three accounts that exist in the fishercreateive.com domain on the same server.

It actually delivers the email to the recipients, but also sends back an error to the sender that looks like this:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
    >
    > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
    > failed:
    >
    > pipe to |/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post
    > ccim_fishercreative.com
    > generated by ccim@fishercreative.com
    > local delivery failed
    >
    > The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:
    >
    > ------ pipe to |/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post
    > ccim_fishercreative.com
    > generated by ccim@fishercreative.com ------
    >
    > post script, list not found: ccim_fishercreative.com

Futhermore I find the following in eximlog:

root@smith1 [/var/log]# cat exim_mainlog | grep ccim@
    2005-03-10 14:08:53 1D9Txl-00037C-AH => dylan <ccim@fishercreative.com> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery
    2005-03-10 14:08:53 1D9Txl-00037C-AH => jason <ccim@fishercreative.com> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery
    2005-03-10 14:08:53 1D9Txl-00037C-AH => jonathan <ccim@fishercreative.com> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery
    2005-03-10 14:08:53 1D9Txl-00037C-AH ** |/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post ccim_fishercreative.com (ccim@fishercreative.com) <ccim@fishercreative.com> R=virtual_aliases_nostar T=virtual_address_pipe: Child process of virtual_address_pipe transport returned 1 from command: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman

I've tried completely deleting all the ccim forwards and doing them again, but the error is still there.

I've tried searching through these forums but I get 500+ results because every word I type in the search does "all messages with word1 OR word2 OR word3" etc... I can't find a way to do "AND" searching to require all words I'm searching with to be in the message.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. dev.null

dev.null Well-Known Member

Solved

OK, figured it out. Here's what /etc/valiases/fishercreative.com had in it:
    Code:
    ccim-admin@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman admin ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-bounces@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman bounces ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-confirm@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman confirm ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-join@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman join ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-leave@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman leave ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-owner@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman owner ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-request@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman request ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-subscribe@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim-unsubscribe@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe ccim_fishercreative.com"
    ccim@fishercreative.com: "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post ccim_fishercreative.com",dylan@fishercreative.com,jason@fishercreative.com,jonathan@fishercreative.com

and it only needed this (for some reason an extra space gets inserted after the last comma, this is a problem with this forum, it shouldn't be that way in the actual file):

Code:
    ccim@fishercreative.com: dylan@fishercreative.com,jason@fishercreative.com,jonathan@fishercreative.com

Analysis. My guess is the user created a ccim mailing list, then put in forwarders, then went back and delted the mailing list. When they deleted the mailing list it was confused and didn't alter the valiases file. The error is generated by the entry "|/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post ccim_fishercreative.com", what this does is call out to mailman and tell it to "forward" post the email to the ccim list, to which mailman responds "list not found", that error is then sent back to the sender.