The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email forwarding

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Muchacho, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Muchacho

Muchacho Registered

Hello!
    I've set e-mail forwarders in my cpanel. When email is forwarded to another address it remains in forwarder's inbox. How can I automatically delete them?

Thank you

2. Eli_ch

Eli_ch Member

you only have to define the forwarder, not an email account for this email adress. if you define a forwarder for an existing email account, every mail will be forwarded and also saved in the inbox of the email account.

3. miinx

miinx Registered

This is utterly ridiculous.

How is someone with a limit of, say, 10mb meant to go on holidays, without their work email box filling up in the meantime?

[And please, please don't answer me that they or their sys. admin should just delete their email account in the meantime. The particular person I am having this trouble with is on the road a lot, so keeps things on the server until they are back in the office. Which they have every right to do.]

The way email forwarding is set up in cPanel is different to every single other email forwarding system around. Check Plesk, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, for a few examples.

cPanel simply cannot assume that email forwarding is only done by people who don't want actual accounts! A very misguided assumption, and an extremely and frustratingly difficult-to-get-around bug of this system.

Can this please be changed?

Thanks for your help,
    Karen

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Nope. That's the way exim works, it's not a cpanel modification. You either have a forwarder or a mailbox or both and delivery is made to whatever you have created. You simply have to work around the feature.

5. miinx

miinx Registered

Thanks for the reply Chirpy.

I was not familiar with exim, nor really of the goings-on behind-the-scenes with cPanel, so have been checking out exim's site ... I gather from what you say cPanel is using exim as its mail transfer agent..?

It appears from http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/filter_1.html that there are ways to do what I'm after, but this is all new to me & I'm going a bit cross-eyed.

The info there seems to say forwarding with exim is possible by way of filter files, written either in traditional single-line format, or using Exim's multi-line filtering language. Neither of these are familiar to me tho, and, more importantly, I don't know how fully embedded exim is in cPanel, and whether we have the ability to do either.

This document describes the process a bit more clearly:
    http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/csg/faqs/email/general.html#q6

Do we have the ability in cPanel to create .forward files?

And am I on the right track here, or getting in a muddle of completely unrelated stuff?!?

Thanks again.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the .forward method will only work with the main cPanel account name (using a .forward file in /. It certainly will not work with other domain accounts, because they are virtual accounts and do not have the concept of a home directory.

I've never seen a way around the issue myself. Maybe someone else will post who has seen one, if it exists.

7. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

why dont u either just increase the size of the mail box or use the forwarding feature only, without creating the pop account ? ;)

8. miinx

miinx Registered

Forgot to post back last night -- figgered it out. And it's actually really simple, and (to answer my own question) yes, I was going wayyyy off track!

All you need to do is set up an Email Filter, via that particular page under Mail Management.
    • Click 'Add Filter'
    • Select "To" in the first drop-down
    • Select "contains" in the second drop-down
    • Enter the email address being forwarded in the box next to it
    • Enter the email address to be forwarded to in the 'Destination' box
    • Click 'Activate'... et voila!
    Not sure why I hadn't tried that before. Tested it last night & it works like a dream. No more dupes!

Thanks for the other suggestions, none of them work for my client's particular situation though -- she's away on holidays & getting mail fwd'd to a colleague, but she had email in her account on the server already, so I couldn't just delete her account. And she's coming back anyway.

Solved though. :)

9. wookiee

wookiee Well-Known Member

Thanks for spelling it out.

Works great :D