Email in queue for too long

psytanium

Jun 6, 2014
Lebanon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Any domain name hosted on my server is not able to send emails to any yahoo.com email address. the bounce back message is
Code:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.   

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 20.6 hour(s):

* [email protected]

Reason: There was an error while attempting to deliver your message with [Subject: "Reset Password"] to [email protected] It has been in queue too long, and will not attempt delivery again.
I contacted GoDaddy they told me to SSH my server logs. What should I look for specifically ?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! That's interesting because it definitely looks like an error on the Yahoo side of things. Nothing you can do on the cPanel & WHM side of things can control how long the message will sit in a remote queue.

I would recommend checking the /var/log/exim_mainlog file on the server to see if there is anything else odd happening with that message. You can search for the email address to get the mail ID, and then search for the mail ID to get every entry for that message. The mail ID is the random string of text and letters in the xxxxx-xxxx-xx format in the log.

Reactions: psytanium

psytanium

Jun 6, 2014
Lebanon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! That's interesting because it definitely looks like an error on the Yahoo side of things. Nothing you can do on the cPanel & WHM side of things can control how long the message will sit in a remote queue.

I would recommend checking the /var/log/exim_mainlog file on the server to see if there is anything else odd happening with that message. You can search for the email address to get the mail ID, and then search for the mail ID to get every entry for that message. The mail ID is the random string of text and letters in the xxxxx-xxxx-xx format in the log.
Thank you for the information. Can you tell me how to check /var/log/exim_mainlog ? I can SSH or use WHM Terminal, but I don't know the command to download the log file.

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you for the information. Can you tell me how to check /var/log/exim_mainlog ? I can SSH or use WHM Terminal, but I don't know the command to download the log file.
You don't need to download the file, you can do like this:
Code:
cd /var/log

grep "[email protected]" exim_mainlog
You should get log lines about the email sent to that address. There you see the mail ID, like @cPRex said, it looks like, for ex. "1ljHEc-0006q5-TZ".
Then:

Code:
exigrep "MailID" exim_mainlog

Reactions: psytanium

psytanium

Jun 6, 2014
Lebanon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You don't need to download the file, you can do like this:
Code:
cd /var/log

grep "[email protected]" exim_mainlog
You should get log lines about the email sent to that address. There you see the mail ID, like @cPRex said, it looks like, for ex. "1ljHEc-0006q5-TZ".
Then:

Code:
exigrep "MailID" exim_mainlog
This is output :

Code:
2021-05-19 11:19:10 1ljHQ6-0001Zc-QG <= [email protected] H=(DESKTOPHEOJBFQ) [xxx.xxx.x.xxx]:1151 P=esmtpsa X=TLS1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256 CV=no A=dovecot_login:[email protected] S=3490 [email protected] T="testtt" for [email protected]
2021-05-19 11:19:10 1ljHQ6-0001Zc-QG Sender identification U=username D=mydomain.com [email protected]
2021-05-19 11:19:10 1ljHQ6-0001Zc-QG SMTP connection outbound 1621412350 1ljHQ6-0001Zc-QG mydomain.com [email protected]
2021-05-19 11:19:12 1ljHQ6-0001Zc-QG => [email protected] R=send_to_smart_host T=remote_smtp H=n1smtpout.europe.secureserver.net [188.121.43.235] C="250 2.0.0 jHQ6lX6UIh7h9 mail accepted for delivery"
2021-05-19 11:19:12 1ljHQ6-0001Zc-QG Completed

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That email was accepted for delivery by the receiving server (n1smtpout.europe.secureserver.net), so there is nothing you can do in your side.

Reactions: cPRex

psytanium

Jun 6, 2014
Lebanon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for posting that log data. As @quietFinn mentioned, we can see the mail leaves your server and gets accepted, so there isn't anything else you could change on your server that would change what happens with the recipient.
Thank you, I will contact Yahoo postmaster admins, see what could we find. What confused me is the non-delivery message didn't include anything about Yahoo.

Reactions: cPRex