Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Email issue in new installation on VMware VPS

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Sanjay Narayan, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Sanjay Narayan

Sanjay Narayan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi,
    I have a VPS container created in vmvare running with 2 public IPs. I have installed the cpanel yesterday and created the custom hostname with domain registrar for custom nameservers. I am able to create the accounts and host the website but email is not working. Please help. I am unable to receive any mails sent from cpanel as well. It is queued.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sanjay Narayan

Sanjay Narayan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When i try to push the mail from queue i get following output

LOG: MAIN
    cwd=/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot 4 args: /usr/sbin/exim -v -M 1g1kvB-0003Ll-KX
    delivering 1g1kvB-0003Ll-KX
    SMTP connection identification H=localhost A=127.0.0.1 P=41338 M=1g1kvB-0003Ll-KX U=root ID=0 S=root B=authenticated_local_user
    Sender identification U=root D=-system- S=root
    Connecting to outlook-com.olc.protection.outlook.com [104.47.37.33]:25 ... failed: Connection timed out (timeout=5m)
    H=outlook-com.olc.protection.outlook.com [104.47.37.33] Connection timed out
    Connecting to outlook-com.olc.protection.outlook.com [104.47.38.33]:25 ... failed: Connection timed out (timeout=5m)
    H=outlook-com.olc.protection.outlook.com [104.47.38.33] Connection timed out
    == *********@outlook.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Sanjay Narayan,

If there are no firewall rules blocking outgoing connections over port 25, then check to see if your provider, or your data center, is blocking outgoing connections over port 25. Data centers/hosting providers will sometimes block outgoing connections over that port as a SPAM prevention technique.

Thank you.

4. Sanjay Narayan

Sanjay Narayan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @cPanelMichael,
    I will check with my ISP and check if the port 25 is blocked. However I'm unable to even receive the mail as well. Is there something i need to configure after installing cPanel? Things are working fine except email server.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If port 25 is blocked, it can prevent both incoming and outgoing email from functioning on the server. Beyond that, here's a document with guidelines on how to configure the email server post-installation:

How to Keep your Email Out of the Spam Folder - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

6. Sanjay Narayan

Sanjay Narayan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @cPanelMichael,
    Port 25 blocked at ISP end. Email started working after opening the port.
    If your ISP doesn't agree to open a port is there any other option? Can the port be changed?

7. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Sanjay Narayan,

I'm happy to see the issue is now solved. As far as alternatives, here's a Google Compute document developed to show alternatives when port 25 is blocked (Google blocks port 25 on their Compute service):

Sending Email from an Instance  |  Compute Engine Documentation  |  Google Cloud

It suggests using a third-party email provider such as SendGrid or Mailgun.

Thank you.

8. Sanjay Narayan

Sanjay Narayan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanelMichael likes this.