The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email issue? Something new

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by DigiCrime, Apr 27, 2006.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was troubleshooting two email accounts for a customer, the two domains could not email each other at all but could do so to other other accounts. What made it difficult is I even tried my own personal account, in the log it showed it as being sent, and in my logs it shows it as being recieved but I never got it in my inbox, I cd'd into the new tmp and cur directories to look for it, no where to be found.

Turns out the account I was using as a test to send from, a copy of the persons domain was on that same server (duplicate) so it was going to that account instead. The emails I had sent to my personal account I never got them... however heres the brainer... My brother has an email account on my server, he gotten the emails I sent to my account they never came to me, he forwarded to them to me you can see in the emails that were meant to go to my account but why would he get them?

I have been known to loose some emails in the past but it would have never occured to me that my email would be going to another inbox so what is this about ?? Unless this is some bug or already known about to me this could be a security risk if it cannot be proven as to why email directed to one account would be deposited into another inbox.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Without knowing the email account names it's a little difficult to say. One possible reason is that if the other email account that did receive them has the same unix username as the email prefix which the SMTP server might try as a last resort.

3. DigiCrime

His email username and mine are different. My email address that I was emailing to is ron at stlhosting dot com I use for personal and what not, my brothers is rtw at stlhosting dot com and who i was emailing from was kim at karrtech dot com

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's certainly odd. If you still haev the email it might be worth looking for the exim mail ID and grep the exim_mainlog to see the full transaction:

grep id /var/log/exim_mainlog

Also, double check /etc/valiases/domain.com to ensure nothing untoward has been setup for your email accounts.

5. DigiCrime

Ill look when I have access to his computer...im assuming I need to view the headers on his email that he got correct? ... on the valiases, nothing odd there, all correct.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, that's right.