The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Issue :(

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cjrisk, Jan 11, 2012.

1. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm very new to WHM and cPanel but i have had a bit of help setting it up. :(

I currently have changed my DNS and mx records to point to my new VPS (which has WHM and cPanel on it)

When i configure outlook with a domain that i have on there, i can receive email not a problem! but when i send it doesn't seem to reach the other person?? It looks as if its left outlook but nothing, it doesn't even hit the queue on WHM. It did originally but now its stopped.

Any ideas??

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please check the exim_mainlog file:

Code:
    exigrep email@domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Please use either the email address you are sending from or the email address you are sending to for the email@domain.com portion.

3. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry, i dont want to be dense but where do i type that code??

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You type it in root SSH command line.

5. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How can this be done? Sorry I'm a right newbie!

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you control the VPS and do not know how to get to root in SSH in a command line client (such as putty), you'd likely want to contact your provider to have them help get you the details. The purpose of this forum would be for cPanel issues rather than learning system administration.

Once you've spoken with your provider, you could obtain a client such as putty http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe for Windows platforms, or using Finder > Terminal in Mac OS X to access the machine.

We wouldn't know your login details, so the best idea is definitely to contact your provider to get any information.

7. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ok i have managed to do that! what am i looking for in the results

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We would need to see the results of the command to see what is failing. Please only post the ones for the specific email sender and receiver that failed for today.

9. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    2012-01-11 19:13:02 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] sender verify defer for <craig@doman.com>: remote host address is the local host

2012-01-11 19:13:02 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] F=<craig@domain.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <craig@domain.com>: Could not complete sender verify

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the domain you are using listed in /etc/localdomains for the one that is supposed to be on the cPanel machine?

Code:
    grep domain.com /etc/localdomains
    I'm uncertain given the lack of actual email addresses listed as well as possible partial return of "exigrep craig@domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog information" if the failing address is the sender or the receiver.

11. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    no that domain was just an example. Here is the exact log

2012-01-11 20:01:42 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] sender verify defer for <craig@zeroriskdesigns.com>: remote host address is the local host

2012-01-11 20:01:42 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] F=<craig@zeroriskdesigns.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <craig@zeroriskgroup.co.uk>: Could not complete sender verify

12. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is this domain the sending domain email or the receiving domain email? It's almost like you are using grep rather than exigrep for the command, which means I'm only seeing one of the email addresses listed. Normally, exigrep will give the full routing for the message so we can see both the sending and the receiving email addresses.

13. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    that is the recieving domain. im sending it from an account luke@zeroriskdesigns.co.uk.

I have just done that bit of code that was put earlier and here are the results, they look the same!

2012-01-11 20:54:52 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] sender verify defer for <craig@zeroriskdesigns.com>: remote host address is the local host

2012-01-11 20:54:52 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] F=<craig@zeroriskdesigns.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <craig@zeroriskgroup.co.uk>: Could not complete sender verify

2012-01-11 20:55:58 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] sender verify defer for <craig@zeroriskdesigns.com>: remote host address is the local host

2012-01-11 20:55:58 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] F=<craig@zeroriskdesigns.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <craig@zeroriskgroup.co.uk>: Could not complete sender verify

2012-01-11 20:57:04 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] sender verify defer for <craig@zeroriskdesigns.com>: remote host address is the local host

2012-01-11 20:57:04 H=lb0.extendcp.co.uk (exchange.outitgoes.com) [79.170.40.196] F=<craig@zeroriskdesigns.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <craig@zeroriskgroup.co.uk>: Could not complete sender verify

14. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you go ahead and open up a ticket for us to run some tests on your machine? Normally, these would indicate something amiss for the DNS of the domain, the routing of the email, or the entry in /etc/localdomains or /etc/remotedomains files.

A ticket could be submitted in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature. Please post the ticket number here upon opening one.

15. cjrisk

cjrisk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All done. My ticket ID is 2112765.

16. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The issue appears to have been due to precisely what was expected. One of the domains was in /etc/localdomains and should not have been (the .com domain that was the recipient of the email).

Because that domain was hosted on the machine but using an Exchange server off the machine for email rather than local email, having that domain in /etc/localdomains meant the email tried to route locally and the domain couldn't process those emails.

By changing the domain to be in /etc/remotedomains via selecting "Remote Mail Exhanger" in WHM -> DNS Functions -> Edit DNS Zone for the domain, the domain was then able to be emailed from the other account.

If a domain is on your machine but email is not hosted locally on that same machine, that domain either needs to have the MX record modified on that machine or the domain needs to be changed to "Remote Mail Exchanger" upon editing the DNS zone in WHM.