The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by imodd, Mar 17, 2007.

1. imodd

imodd Registered

I recently got a new server and transferred the existing accounts from the old server to the new server.

Old Server OS = Fedora Core 4
    New Server OS = Cent OS 4

Everything with the transfer went smooth but users are unable to access email. I checked the server status, and both pop and imap are up and running.

I checked /etc/xinetd.d/ for any extraneous entries and everything looks good, only cpimap there, no other pop entries listed.

After digging through the forums I tried /scripts/courierup --force and /scripts/eximup --force. Rebooted the server and still no luck.

When I try to telnet into the mail server I can connect as the default user for any of the accounts, but not using user@domain format. Any login attempt with user@domain fails.

user user
    +OK Password required.
    pass ********
    +OK logged in.

user user@domain
    +OK Password required.
    pass ********
    -ERR Login failed.

Right now, only a cpanel user can check their email. Any additional email users that have been created are unable to authenticate.

Why would authentication as user@domain be failing?

#1 imodd, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

First try:

/scripts/updateuserdomains
    /scripts/mailperm

If that doesn't help, you're probably best off logging a support ticket with cPanel through your license provider.

3. digitalpulse

digitalpulse Registered

Ok, I have a similar problem, restored 200+ sites after a restore and nobody can get email. When I run /scripts/mailperm, it errors on ALL accounts with something like:

safe_userchgid: chown: /home2/maryi/etc/illesfamily.com/shadow: No such file or directory at /scripts/cPScript/SafetyBits.pm line 68.
    safe_userchgid: chown: /home2/maryi/etc/illesfamily.com/passwd: No such file or directory at /scripts/cPScript/SafetyBits.pm line 68.

I can find NO solution to this problem, even have trouble tickets in to both my server provider and cpanel with no luck so far. Been down now almost 20 hours. :(

4. orware

orware Member

Login Failed for me too

I've had the same problem for over a week. My webhost has not fixed it and I haven't been able to find a solution either.

-Omar

5. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

what format is mail having? mbox or maildir?

6. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

I'd recommend running /scripts/convert2maildir and ensure that your system is running maildir. If you're still using mbox this will be beneficial anyways since support for mbox will be going away in future cPanel versions.

It kind of sounds like you have a 'half-upgraded' box.

What is the file/directory structure under /home/username/mail/domainname.com/?