Email issues after account transfers from another server

denisdekat09

Well-Known Member
Mar 2, 2002
266
0
316
San Francisco
Hello,

After transferring accounts form another server, some pop accounts get rejected on the grounds that they are not Valid recipients.

I have verified that it is not a DNS issue as email is arriving at the server, the local DNS zone and /etc/localdomains are set correctly, and the email accounts exist.

I have a ticket open but it is taking a long time and I have yet to have the guy read the ticket details and make a serious attempt at helping. His solution after a day worth of emails was to repeat what I had already tried much earlier.

Any ideas what else may be wrong?

Thanks in advance!
 

denisdekat09

Well-Known Member
Mar 2, 2002
266
0
316
San Francisco
From February 4th, 2013 at 09:40 AM to 05 February 2013 11:01 AM - Two attempts to help with nothing done. The first, the guy tries something I had already done and not worked. The second try the guy tells me he won't help because I got a shell session running top.

These are the facts thus far...

1) transfer multiple accounts to new server.
2) verified DNS is functioning since Saturday
3) email is going to the correct server (the new server)
4) new server is rejecting email to valid existing email accounts - working for others.
5) bounce messages clearly state that email is bouncing form new server for valid emails
6) provided this information and email traces via the cpanel for some of the affected accounts
7) told support what I tried and what I have done in an effort to solve the issue myself
8) pleaded numerous times to ticket for help
9) posted on forums

I am now just waiting and waiting and losing customers...

THANKS!
 

JaredR.

Well-Known Member
Feb 25, 2010
1,834
23
143
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I found what happened with your ticket. We were not intentionally ignoring it, but for some reason it had been "adopted" to an analyst, which prevents it from being seen in the queue by other analysts. I apologize for this; since the analyst to whom it was adopted was off shift, the analysts who were working were not able to see it. I will address this internally with the support manager.

I have unadopted the ticket from the off-shift analyst and you should receive a reply to the ticket soon. I apologize again for this, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
 

denisdekat09

Well-Known Member
Mar 2, 2002
266
0
316
San Francisco
Hello,

In case anybody runs into this in the future. This was the explanation and solution provided to the problem (keep in mind we only used the multiple account move tool within Cpanel - no file medling)

I believe that you could probably just go into cPanel and set it to use the normal default address (cpanel account name) and then switch it back to whatever they had. This should regenerate the valiases file or at least that entry. It seems that there was some file corruption or some extra hidden characters added to those files which is odd, but can happen depending on how you transferred them or if they were manually edited in a Windows text editor. Let me know if that doesn't fix it and I'll look into what is occurring with those other accounts. It's possible we could be dealing with separate problems.
Good luck to anyone who runs into this problem with this solution...
 

comeran

Member
Nov 25, 2008
9
0
51
I've got the same problem right now. No luck with solving it though ...
You can login to the affected accounts, add a forward, then delete the forward. I know it sounds arbitrary but that does fix the problem. It is a current but in the migration tool and is happening to a lot of people here. Now if I were you I would be thinking this is not a solution, and that it wouldn't work but I am confident it will fix your problem.
 

barlow

Member
Mar 27, 2013
7
0
1
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I just had this too. After googling around I found this horrible work-around which seems to have worked.

Go to the cpanel and 'Default Address' in the mail section. It is probably set to something like :fail: blah blah unknown user.. Change this to :blackhole: by selecting the "Discard" option.

Lo and behold, email begins to work again. Please dont ask me why.